Does anybody use a fitted winter cover?

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
Hello,
We have a fitted winter cover that slips into the coping of our inground pool.
It always seems to slip out of the coping in a couple areas.
Is there any tips on how to keep these cover from slipping out of the coping?
Thanks

I hate these covers. My first suggestion would be to scrap it as soon as possible and get a safety cover. But barring that...

Test it as you're putting it in. If it's seated properly, you should be able to tug on it a bit without it peeling out of the track. I've found the best way to get one properly seated is to put it in by hand first, and then go back around with a rubber mallet and gently tap it into the track. I usually find a few spots that weren't all the way in that way. I've also seen people use a plastic screening tool for this, but the mallet is more satisfying.

Also, be sure to keep excess weight off it, especially water.

Thanks for the reply. This cover is a PITA, and I am following the
"pros and cons of using a winter cover" thread closely.

I read somewhere but can't find it, about some plastic that comes in a roll
and you wedge it in between the cover and the coping.

That's similar to the one I have. We use a 4x8 piece of plywood with a piece of
coping screwed to it for the steps. They look great in theory put keeping them locked in
the track is a different story.

You're being too kind. These covers violate the Geneva Conventions.

I noticed on the Fox site that the covers are oversized from the factory, and that I've definitely noticed. There's always a little extra material. We tried to keep that bunched around the gap at the step cover that you're talking about.

And speaking of horrible ideas, what's with that anyway? Plyboard over the steps? What kind of cover relies on that? Funny that they give you a trash can to store the cover in but say nothing about having to store a 4' x 8' board all winter.

One last thing: you've had the cover for a while so you've probably noticed this, but be sure you're putting the bead into the track correctly. Every time I bring a new person out to this cover their tendency is to try to 'hook it in'. Basically they start with the cover perpendicular to the track to get the lip of the cover in first, then try to wedge the rest in. Instead, you should be putting the cover straight into the track, almost at a downward angle. That's what makes the mallet so handy. You can pinch the last inch of material, set the lip in front of the track and then tap and it should go in without much of a problem.

[attachment=0:2pqq9f6p]lock-in cover.JPG[/attachment:2pqq9f6p]

Attachments

• lock-in cover.JPG
    lock-in cover.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 219
My neighbor and I both have Fox pools, he has the cover and I want one! I have the fiberglass step cover that I store behind an equipment box thru the summer, and use with a solid cover, leaf net and water bags for the winter. Looks ugly!!! My pool deck gets stained from leafs under cover edges, pool gets full of worms around edges, water bags leak, and did I mention that its UGLY!!!
Neighbor has PC come close pool, they were there less than an hour and the pool looks great, won't have anything in it when it's opened in spring. Only downside is that they want $1000 for the cover, and I don't want it that badly! The Foxite II coping has a double channel, one for the liner, and one for the cover. If I could get me about 120 feet of liner bead, 800 ft2 of liner and a quart of glue, I could make my own cover. Anyone know where I can get material?

Going into the 3rd year I figured this thing out. There is a white rubber molding shaped
like a T. Looks like molding you would use around a window or door. I cut it into peices
and wedged it between the coping and the top of the cover. I just add peices where it used to come undone ie: corners and the steps. It was very windy yesterday and came home to a cover
that was actualy covering the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.