trouble with multiport valve/sand filter

We've been in our house for 5 years, and this is my first experience with a pool. (No expert, but learning!) The pool is 53 years old, and I have no idea how old some of the equipment is. Here's what's going on: I have a Hayward sand filter (SF71, I think). The multiport thing has always been very "tight"...hard to turn. I've noticed recently that when I move it to a new position (for example, from filter to backwash) the "pointer" thingy that usually goes into a down position just remains floppy. When I have backwashed recently, the sight glass doesn't get cloudy, but I've noticed cloudy water coming out of the jet into the pool after about a couple minutes of backwashing. Finally, the pressure indicator is always on 20...it never changes.

I watched the video on deep cleaning the sand filter (with a water hose). The problem is, I don't know how to "isolate the filter from the pool plumbing". The fellow in the video capped off something near the bottom of his filter, but I don't see anything like that on mine.

I'd appreciate any help with this. Of course, Memorial Day is upon us, and it's not looking good for me!

Thank you,
Dan

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention...I have NEVER done a deep cleaning of the sand filter. It sounds like that is something that should be done at least once a year.

It sounds like your main valve needs some maintaince. There is a spring that should cause the handle to lock down any time it is in an appropriate position and that spring either needs to be lubricated or replaced. The hard to turn issue also suggests that either lubrication is needed or something is jamming up the motion. With the spring not pushing things into place, the valve might not be sealing internally, which could relate to your other issues.

They sell things called a "go kit", which contains all of the seals and springs that might need to be replaced in the multi-port valve. I would recommend you get and install one of those, or have the valve serviced.

For the deep cleaning, there should be a "recirculate" setting on your valve, that will prevent any water going to the filter. Deep cleaning is recommended roughly every two years.

I called helpful pool store guy about this. He said to remove the multiport valve and bring it in for him to look at. He had to remove the handle to get to an old, faulty o-ring and replaced it. He put it back together and instructed me on the other things from the Go-kit that I need to replace, including the spider gasket. Mine is in awful shape, and this is the main part of my problem. But...I told him that when I removed the top of my multiport valve, water just gushes out the top. How can I replace a spider gasket when it's under water? He said there should be a way for me to shut the water off between the pump and the filter, but there just ISN'T! (Previous homeowner was elderly and is now deceased. Whoever worked on this last may have done away with such a shutoff.) Anyway, I need to figure out how to stop the water long enough to replace the spider gasket. I'm wondering if I could stuff a rubber ball in the pipe where water pours into the pump basket (removing the basket first, obviously. It seems like a racquetball might be about the right size. Anyone have any such experience? Or am I missing something obvious? Thank you.

I'm no expert but I've had enough twiddles with the taps to know that closing them all will shut off the water to the multi port handle. If you can't stop water going into it then you have a problem because at some point or other, you do need to close each of the 5 pipes leading to it (on mine it's skimmer, side vent for hoovering, waste, bottom drain and return to pool). Are you 100% sure there isn't a tap on each inlet to close? Sorry for stating the obvious but it would be unusual to have an inlet that you couldn't close. My waste doesn't appear to have a regular tap but that's only for when water is going out so it doesn't really need one.

Thank you for the reply; I actually left the invitation in my last post to "state the obvious", because of my inexperience. I'm pretty sure at one time this old pool had a bottom drain, and I have no idea how many returns and skimmers it started with. Today, it has no bottom drain, and one jet/return and one skimmer. I will have more time today after work to look at it. Always open to new/additional advice. Thanks!

Can you post some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow evening (if it will ever stop storming here!). I opened up the multiport again. Long story short...I stuffed some rubber balls in some of the plumbing to stop some water flow. It appears I have a broken housing where I would put the replacement spider gasket. I am going to have someone replace the whole multiport valve, and while he's at it he will install some shut-offs in the lines.

Thanks,
Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.