New Pump Time

May 15, 2015
Smyrna, ga
This is probably a pretty trivial choice from what I have read, but figure I would ask the experts. I am going to pull the trigger on a replacement pump and going to go with VS i the form of either Hayward Super Pump Vs or Hayward Max Flo VS. Pump is maybe 6-12" above waterline, about 10 feet away. All plumbing currently 1.5". Skimmer line is about 15ft from pump, main drain about the same (8ft deep end). Single 1.5" line for 3 returns and a dedicated 1.5" line for pressure side cleaner (Polaris 280 with booster). Currently have a 24" sand filter that shows 20psi when backflushed.

From what I have read, the max flo might have a slight efficiency edge at "medium head" which I am guessing is about where I am operating. I like that the Max Flo VS has 2" ports as I am contemplating a larger filter if I can pick one up on Craigslist for a deal (would go to 30" sand, perhaps Tagelus 100D or Hayward S311SX, Triton II if a good deal can be had) and would likely change pool pad plumbing to 2" at that time.

I understand that the newer versions (2602VSP an 2302VSP) have programmable timer / clock as well. I don't have any other automation aside from a timer.

Any input would be most welcomed.

honesty, unless you have a lot of different items running off your pump, I just don't see the need for variable speed. you can save a lot of money and get the operating savings with just a two speed pump. how big is your pool and are you running fountains, etc off it?

We recommend the MaxFlo VS over the SuperPump VS, though the difference is quite small.

That said, I agree with DaninFLA, you will save a little money in lifetime cost by going with a suitable two speed pump rather than a VS, though the difference isn't all that large.

We recommend the MaxFlo VS over the SuperPump VS, though the difference is quite small.

That said, I agree with DaninFLA, you will save a little money in lifetime cost by going with a suitable two speed pump rather than a VS, though the difference isn't all that large.

I was referring to the upfront costs savings rather than operational. i.e. I meant you can just get the 2 speed and get the same operational savings. sorry that wasn't clear.

Looking at Hayward's site, there are 3 pumps that are 2-speed (1, 1.5 and 2HP). Current pump is a Super Pump 3/4hp with a 1.5 SF. Will the 1.0 HP at slow speed have enough to take care of filtration or is the 1.5 better? I was going to get a feel for total head in the system, but need to get an extension tube on the vacuum side to get a gauge on it. The 1.0 and 1.5 are both around $470 (with the VS being $650).

Thanks for the input.

You don't really need anything but the smallest pump for circulation. I use a 1/2 HP pump on a 20k pool with solar.

Another option that would cost even less would be to swap out the motor in your current pump with a two speed motor.

It is a 1/2 hp Northstar pump with a two speed motor replacement.

And yes I usually run on high for solar and low on for circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.