First time sand filter owner

May 23, 2014
United States
Ok guys, I just upgraded my pump and filter to an Intex 2100 gph Sand filter. I followed the instructions to set it up and got it going. I noted the pressure on startup and it was about 9 (10 starts into the yellow zone). after about 30 minutes the pressure was up to 11 and the flow from the return was very slow. I would say about 1/10th of the flow compared to startup right after a backwash. So I backwashed again, rinsed, then set back to filter and all is well with pressure back to 9. but again after about 30 minutes the pressure is back up and flow is terrible. I ended up repeating this for like 2 hours last night before bed time. I didnt want to leave it running over night worried about the pressure so I set it on a timer to run for 30 minutes. This morning I went out first thing and turned it on. the flow was just ok and pressure at 11 so I went inside got ready for work and then came out and checked. pressure still at 11 but could barely feel and flow from the return. Backwash, rinse, filter and its flowing like a champ, but worried about it building pressure all day while I'm at work I turned it off.

does this sound normal for startup??? will this get better? is a pressure reading of 9 too much?? What am I missing? Help me out here. with the amount of backwashing and rinsing (replacing water) My chemistry is going to way out of whack.

Sounds to me like you were overdue for an upgraded filter. It's doing what filters do. The big question is: what does the water look like? If it's cloudy or green, you're going to keep loading up that filter until you kill off whatever is growing in the water. You'll never get ahead of it by filtering alone.

Pool is cloudy, I can see the bottom ok in a 3.5ft pool. There is definitely a "film" of things floating on the surface and some stuff settled on the bottom, which I will try to vacuum this evening.
Readings from last night
FC = 20 (overshot just a bit)
CC = .5
pH = 8.0 (overshot just a bit)
TA = 80
just did a 95% refill and added CYA to get me to 30 (looking at my history I hope I didn't overshoot this too :p)

This morning
FC = 19
CC = .5
pH didn't test
CYA Didnt test
TA didnt test

Pool is cloudy, I can see the bottom ok in a 3.5ft pool. There is definitely a "film" of things floating on the surface and some stuff settled on the bottom, which I will try to vacuum this evening.
Readings from last night
FC = 20 (overshot just a bit)
CC = .5
pH = 8.0 (overshot just a bit)
TA = 80
just did a 95% refill and added CYA to get me to 30 (looking at my history I hope I didn't overshoot this too :p)

This morning
FC = 19
CC = .5
pH didn't test
CYA Didnt test
TA didnt test
attachment.php

We have a clue!

It appears you're doing the SLAM process. In which case, the filter clogging up is to be expected. The intervals between cleanings should get longer and longer as the pool clears up.

So I should keep slamming until the pool is clear correct? Since I already have a good OCLT result the next hurdle is a clear pool and I'm in the clear? Also I'm scared to leave the pump running 24 hrs/day due to the 30 minute backwash schedule, so I am turning it off overnight and while I'm at work.

I just didnt expect to have to backwash every 30 minutes. the water loss and replenishment is killing me :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.