Resurfacing material reaching end of life

Jun 30, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I have a pool built many years ago. In the mid-2000s, I believe they applied a resurfacing/coating from Aqua Creations in Ventura: http://www.aquacreations.com/services1.htm

This coating is starting to have increasing problems. When I bought the house, the coating was beginning to show many small bubbles (0.5"-1"). In the subsequent years, the bubbles have continued to form, and some of the bubbles have cracked open or cracked off to reveal the underlying material. These cracks and broken bubbles have become a ubiquitous hiding ground for algae. Either the bubble area itself will gather algae, or the area around the exposed surface will rise up a little and algae will grow underneath the coating layer. When this happens, I can easily pull and remove the affected area of coating with my nail to reveal a small area of algae. The material removed is about 0.5mm thick, and is brittle.

Is the flaking off of the coating a problem? When should I consider a replacement of the coating/surface, and what would that entail? Other than the algae breeding ground, are there other problems with this situation I should know about? Given the drought conditions in Southern California, I'm reticent to drain the pool for a full resurfacing. Can we just let the coating continue to flake off, or do I need to take action to protect the underlying material? If there are problems with the underlying material (concrete/plaster, I think), that may be revealed by the continued flaking of the coating, what should I look for to detect these problems?

The waterline tiles in this pool are also starting to fail, with the tile mortar recessed significantly between each tile, and some tiles completely fallen off, so at some point, I'll probably need to do a complete overhaul. I'd like to delay that if possible, since we're not seeing any problems that aren't aesthetic right now. However, I strongly believe in preventing small problems becoming big ones, so I'm willing to do a larger job now, if that's what y'all recommend.

I look forward to the insight of the TFP mindtrust.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you really need a resurface. Done right, or best, it would entail chipping out all the old and putting in new plaster (whatever) and tile. You can probably live with it a while, but that's up to your tolerance level. The Algae is another issue. While it may provide a better attachment point and be harder to remove from those places, that's really more of a water balance issue. Perhaps that is contributing to your finish issues as well, but the Algae is a Free Chlorine problem.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you really need a resurface. Done right, or best, it would entail chipping out all the old and putting in new plaster (whatever) and tile. You can probably live with it a while, but that's up to your tolerance level. The Algae is another issue. While it may provide a better attachment point and be harder to remove from those places, that's really more of a water balance issue. Perhaps that is contributing to your finish issues as well, but the Algae is a Free Chlorine problem.

Okay. As for the Algae, are you saying that I should be able to completely eliminate it? I generally keep FC in the 3-5 range, and run quite a bit of filtration. The water is clear and I clean the dirt with a cleaner every few days. Should I be managing the FC more aggressively?

Yes. Algae can be completely eliminated from any properly operating pool. I would suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School as a start.

Then, you will need to make a decision on managing your pool with a really good test kit. It gives you the precision and comprehensiveness that you need to stay algae free all swim season.

I have been using the Pool School method and test kits successfully for some years. My question is about my specific situation, not cleanliness generally. I had no problem keeping the pool algae free when the pool bottom was uniform with few bubbles/cracks. With large numbers of tight attachment points that can't be easily scrubbed, I end up with these little spots of algae that only endure under the lifted edge of the coating. Can you comment on this specific situation? If I get the FC up high and hold it there for days/weeks, would that work, or are there other methods that I should consider?

Yes, we can help you get rid of the algae and keep your pool water algae free no matter what the condition of your pool.

First you need a good test kit from the Test Kit Comparison, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

After you get the test kit, test your water and prepare to SLAM Your Pool. Follow the instructions closely and don't skip steps or it will take longer or not work.

After the SLAM it is time to maintain your pool water. Keeping the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level at all times to keep algae away. Chlorine CYA Chart.

Here are the Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit to maintain your water
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been using the Pool School method and test kits successfully for some years. My question is about my specific situation, not cleanliness generally. I had no problem keeping the pool algae free when the pool bottom was uniform with few bubbles/cracks. With large numbers of tight attachment points that can't be easily scrubbed, I end up with these little spots of algae that only endure under the lifted edge of the coating. Can you comment on this specific situation? If I get the FC up high and hold it there for days/weeks, would that work, or are there other methods that I should consider?

Good to hear you are maintaining your pool TFPC-style! Yes, SLAMing Your Pool will get rid of the algae. :goodjob:

I understand better what you are asking. Algae will grow in nooks and crannies that chlorine cannot get into. There seems to be a need for "flowing" pool water to keep algae certain types of algae from hiding successfully.

So, I agree that a re-surfacing is in your future

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.