Pool temp

Sep 15, 2008
At my Jandy LXI heater and at the Aquapure 1400 the water temp shows one thing and my thermometer in the pool and the spa show about 7 degrees less. For example, today the thermometer in the pool/spa read 72 degrees. At the heater and SWG it read 79 on the LCD display. So when I turned on the heater for the spa it turned off but the water still felt cold. In my mind the thermometer is the right temp, not what the reading is on the equipment. Question is, is there some sort of calibration that needs to be done on this new equipment so the temp is accurate? Thanks

It isn't really very surprising for a thermometer to be off by seven degrees, particularly if it has been bumped too hard at some point. It is also possible that the thermometer is right and the other two are wrong, but that seems much less likely.

It doesn't really matter what the temperature "really" is, what matters is how it feels to you. If it is too cold then turn up the heat and don't worry so much about what number you need to set it to to get the water to feel right.

And they might all be right. Not all the water in your system is the same temperature. As long as they're in the right neighborhood and the equipment is functioning as it should then no harm.

Can you heat the spa to 104 or does the heater stop when the water temp is 97?

I can heat the water to whatever temp I want. I just wanted an accurate reading of what the correct temp was so I can set it and forget it. I didnt know if you need some sort of calibration on new equipment. 7-10 degrees is a pretty good spread when its not 90 degrees outside.

The key phrase here is "correct temp". There is no technical definition of the "correct temp", it is subjective, based on how the water feels when you are in it. Adjust the temperature till if feel comfortable and then see what the temperature reading is.

If you want to know what the temperature "really" is, try comparing to a fever thermometer. That still won't be perfect, but it will be much more precise than any of the thermometers you are comparing to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.