Adding salt for the first time with pool closed?

Hi. I just installed a salt water generator this week (SJ-45) and the pool is not open yet. The cover is still on the pool. Is it ok for me to peel back the cover and dump the Diamond Crystal Salt in the pool without it running? Will it damage anything? I believe I need about 800 lbs of salt. I wasn't going to dump it all in, but I was going to put most of it in. I was going to take the cover off in a few days and would like to start her up!

Why not just open it, test your water with the TFT-100 and post results.

Pool calculator shows 696lbs of salt if yours is truly @0. You should circulate and brush the pool with the salt cell unplugged until it's dissolved so you don't hurt the cell. Too much salt at once can effect the cell from what I've read.
Must have posted at same time^^^^^^^

+1 what JasonLion said! Prior to adding salt I tested with salt strips and they said I had 0 salt in my pool. I added the full amount of salt according to PoolMath. I ended up with too much salt in my pool.
Probably because you had a layer of snow melt/rainwater on the top of the pool. Any readings are best taken after the pump has been running for at least 30 minutes to mix things up.

The pool,had been opened for almost 2 weeks when I added the salt. The salt strips I used, at the time, gave me several false low readings. Anyway, I was reenforcing JasonLions post that he not assume that his salt level was zero.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Always test the salt level before adding and add less than calculated to avoid over-salting. I woul suggest adding about 80 % of the calculated amount and then retesting after allowing for full mixing.

I would even go further and suggest putting in 75% of your estimate, then wait a week, maybe two. Be conservative.

I have never undersalted my pool, but I always over salt it. I had mine dialed in a 3800, and now it's climbed to 4200. I don't know why, but once it's in you are stuck with it or forced to dilute your pool re balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.