Plaster dust after bringing CH down

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
For a couple of years I had been living with a CH in the 475 to 525 range. Wasn't too much of a problem to work with; my CSI hovered around zero give or take a couple of tenths.

This last winter we had a lot of rain and I've been able to use rain water so I'm now at the 275 point and my CSI is generally more negative than it has been in the past.

I noticed when brushing the pool I'm getting white clouds that look just like the plaster dust I had when the plaster was fresh.
Here's my numbers (TF100):

PH 7.4 (coming back up from a TA adjustment of 90 down to 70) In the past usually settled at 7.8
FC 5
CC 0
TA 70
CH 275
Borax 0
CYA 40
Temp 62F

Water is crystal clear (except after brushing), no evidence of any algae.

Is it possible that the former period of elevated CH deposited a micro layer of invisible scale that is now loosened by the the lower CH and CSI numbers? I did purchase a stainless steel bush but I noticed the same situation when I was still using my plastic brush. Also have the appearance of 3 small spots of what looks like underwater effervescence which showed up over the winter. Water has been too cold to get a feel for what they are.

Thanks.

Is it possible that the former period of elevated CH deposited a micro layer of invisible scale that is now loosened by the the lower CH and CSI numbers?
Possibly. Only a guess but I could envision that the lower dissolved CH in the water is loosening a tiny bit of scale from your walls.

I would think the CH would simply go back into solution but I cannot think of another cause.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.