Calcium Hardness

accountingmama

Platinum Supporter
Aug 21, 2014
Litchfield, CT
I don't typically test my calcium hardness as we have a vinyl pool. I recently tested it and it came out at 25 (1 drop). I was looking for some confirmation of my testing (for CYA more than anything else), so I went to my local pool store to get a "free" professional water test. They tested and their calcium hardness came in at 14. They were freaking out because my calcium was so low. They said it was going to ruin my heater. We have a titanium heater and my husband says we should not be concerned.

So, I am concerned only for this reason. Everything I read on the website says that calcium hardness should be between 0-350 (vinyl) and no need to adjust. I am good with this, but with the store freaking out and wanting me to put 48 pounds of something in; I thought I would at least see what you guys had to say.

I would hate to hear that I should have made sure my calcium was at least 50 or something minor, so that we don't ruin the heater or anything else.

Let me know your thoughts.

Seems most pool store employees have no idea what they are talking about.

Why would low calcium levels affect copper? :scratch:

Simple solution ... stop going to the pool store ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, after some reading, let me amend my post ...

Calcium should not affect the heater, but most heater warranties (if you have one) state some minimum, so you likely should abide by it, even if it is illogical.
Also low CH could cause foaming, so adding some calcium would stop that.

Read this to find out what to use to raise it:
Recommended Pool Chemicals

I agree, I should have not gone to the pool store. Especially when they would not let me leave the store with the print out because I wasn't buying their expensive baking soda to increase my TA and the 48 lbs of whatever to increase my calcium hardness.

I will check my heater warrantee to confirm if there is a level of calcium hardness required, but I think because it is titanium there wasn't one. Not sure if that makes any sense or not, but I'll definitely check with Pentair.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.