Green and Cloudy

jedc43

Aug 9, 2014
Spencer Ma
Hi all,
New this website so bare with me. I have owned over the last 15 years about three pools...all same profile above ground and in the 15-17000 gallon range.
I have been using Namco chemicals every year but this year I decided to go with the recommendations of this website.
OK so lets get you caught up in a nutshell what has happened to me this winter. With the tough New England winter we had this year I had some winter damage to my AG Pool... The damage was not to significant so I was able to repair it on my own, but in the process I had my cover off for about a month with no way to run my filter. The Pool was about 3/4 full and as green as a oak tree leaf in the middle of summer. I filled the pool up the rest of the way with my well last week and started my filter Saturday May 16. I ordered my Taylor test kit on the same day and I have not received it yet so I have been using test strips to try and get me in the ballpark. I have been slamming my pool for 4 days now and I am still green (light green) and very cloudy still, cant see the bottom. I have been brushing and trying to vacuum but I have no Idea what I am doing because I cannot see. My filter has been running non stop since Saturday and my FC is at 10-12...CYA is low but rising at around 29(that's a guess with test strips not being very accurate) I have put around 70 oz of stabilizer so far but I am going slow till I get my test kit.
My question is how long should I expect to slam until I notice a great improvement?... Is a week normal or do I have some other problem that needs to be addressed. The filter seems to be working properly and I just put new sand in it before I started.
Hope I gave enough Info,
Marc

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, if you are truly following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, usually you will see some changes everyday or so.
But, impossible to say if you are truly SLAMing based on the very suspect results of a test strip.

- - - Updated - - -

What test kit did your order? If the K-2006, order FAS-DPD and CYA refills now as you are going to need them ... which is why we recommend the TF-100. ;)

Test strips work, you just won't get accurate results. I use them because I'm not rich. Trust me, follow the SLAM process but understand this: You need enough chlorine to kill the green stuff and you absolutely need to be running the filter for at least 24 hours straight, that does the trick and do not forget to backwash the filter during the process. This works for me every year and one year I had really green water like you describe. I'll get no end of grief for posting this but I know what works for me for the least cost.

BTW, I'm just up the road from you in Rutland.

The length of time to SLAM varies for each pool and its condition. Some may get by with about a week, others may take 2-3. That's why having the accurate (numbered) readings is so important when trying to pinpoint the exact chemical demand required. Until your kit comes-in, you may not be putting-in enough chlorine, or you may find out later you were putting in too much and wasted $$. It's pretty-much guess work for now until you get the kit. When you do, post your results and you'll get all kinds of specific help from TFP. Not to mention be able to plug those numbers into the Pool Calculator which will do a lot of the work for you. Good luck, and keep us all posted.

Oncw you get your new kit being able to get more accurate CYA and FC levels will help speed things along. Another factor is how often you are able to measure and dose. If you can do it hourly then you will see results faster. If your schedule only allows for a few times a day then it will take longer, but it will happen eventually.

Sometimes algae can just be stubborn. I can say we have never seen a pool that absolutely wouldn't clear with proper SLAMming, so keep at it and post a full set of results when you get your kit. We will look those numbers over and offer any tips we can to help you get through it.

And you will get through it!

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Test strips work, you just won't get accurate results. I use them because I'm not rich. Trust me, follow the SLAM process.

If that's not a contradiction, I've never heard one. It's precisely why we don't teach people to use them. A SLAM cannot be performed without a proper kit. If you aren't testing and controlling the FC level, it is not a SLAM procedure. It's a guessing game and it's poorly advised to guess at high FC levels, particularly in a vinyl pool. What you do in your pool is your buisness, but please do not advocate such careless advice to other pool owners here.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, if you are truly following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, usually you will see some changes everyday or so.
But, impossible to say if you are truly SLAMing based on the very suspect results of a test strip.

- - - Updated - - -

What test kit did your order? If the K-2006, order FAS-DPD and CYA refills now as you are going to need them ... which is why we recommend the TF-100. ;)
It was the TF-100 from pool supply world

Ok , I got my TP-100 kit today and I have to say that the results from the kit is nowhere near what the test strips read. If the strips are that far off then I will probably never use them again.
Here are my readings... CYA 50... FC 3.5...CC .5...TA 130... PH 7.2..... Based on my slam chart I need to get my FC to 20 so I added 415 oz of bleach(8.25).... I am guessing that I wasn't slamming nearly enough. I am home for the long weekend so what advice can anyone give me. Im guessing it wil be check often and slam slam slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok , I got my TP-100 kit today and I have to say that the results from the kit is nowhere near what the test strips read.
This is why no matter what excuse people have for not getting the test kit I will not give guidance based on test strip results. You really made the right call in getting the kit. Looks like everything is pretty well in range and perfect for the SLAM. Just keep at it as often as possible, as often as hourly if you really want but every two hours is probably plenty. Test - Dose - Brush - Repeat. The more you keep on it the faster it will happen.

Good job getting the test kit! It will save you SO much money and time! Just think next year you will not have to go through this when you want to open and use your pool.

Test, dose, brush do as often as you can.

Do you have any leaves or such in the pool? If so do your best to get them out. It will speed up your SLAM.

Kim

Good job so far! You speak pretty good TFPC-speak.

Yes, test and add every 2-3 hours at first. Once chlorine level starts to drop less you can test less. Run filter 24x7. Backwash after pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure. Brush. Vacuum.

Here is the official process if you want to reread, SLAMing Your Pool.

After your SLAM here is how to keep it clear.

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Pump has been running nonstop for one full week....CYA seems a bit higher today at 60, I hope it doesn't go up higher, thinking I should backwash a lot and re-fill. Color and clarity sucks...heres a pic...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150523_111532_resized.jpg
    20150523_111532_resized.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 109
Congrats on your TF 100! You could backwash and add water if your psi has risen 20-25% above clean. This would help keep your CYA at bay. Remember this is not going to happen overnight, it is a process that will require lots of patience. Test every couple of hours until you are holding your FC better and then you can stretch the time out. No need to test when you should be sleeping. Lots and lots of brushing. If you have a ladder in, take it out and clean it really well with bleach water.

Its 3pm and the FC is holding at 21 CYA is still 60 CC is 0....brushed everything about 3 x and vacuumed a few needles that came up in basket... I am trying to be patient but I see no improvement...Its been one full week of 24/7 filtering. Im gonna love that electric bill. It would be comforting to me if someone would chime in similar time experiences going over one week. I remember having a similar problem mid summer and the pool store told me that it was dead matter floating in the pool. They gave me something to clump it up and fall to the bottom of the pool so it can be vacuumed.
I told myself that I would give this method a try so I never would have to buy chemicals again but I don't want to have to spend the money I am saving on a electric bill either.
Any words of wisdom from the elders here would be appreciated. I am trying to stay positive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.