1000 gph sand filter?

Taupe

May 31, 2014
Washington State
I've searched a bit on this thread and can't seem to find any info. I was given a 1000 gph sand filter, a Bestway unit. I didn't know they even made them that small. I'm upgrading to a 16'x4' pool this summer, which I believe will hold appx 6000 gallons. Will this pump flow enough? I have a hard time believing it would due to the fact that my intex cartridge pump claims 1000 gph and I was fighting algae all last summer.

Thanks in advance.

Gotcha, I am also moving my pool away from an area where there were a LOT of pine needles dropping into it. I have a good test kit and will test daily. Regarding the pump though. Is it sufficient? Most of the sand filters I've seen are double the flow.

The Intex cartridge filters/pumps are very weak, even though it is rated the same as the bestway sand filter/pump you will probably see better performance from the bestway. The filter is free, hook it up and try it out and see if you like it. Be sure to run the sand filter through a backwash and rinse before setting it to filter. That way any nasty water in the filter will be pumped to waste instead of into your pool.

Thanks for the help. I set up the old pool and it looks like I have a lot more room for a pool than I thought. I will try to find an 18' or 20' for a decent price, and that will put me around 8 hours for a full cycle which is a bit higher than I want to go. The 2100gph intex sand filter/pump combo is on sale at amazon for $96 with free shipping right now if anyone is interested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.