Athens, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
During the final weeks of the season I find myself emptying leaves from the skimmer hourly trying to keep the water circulating properly (esp important with a chlorine generator). This becomes a bigger problem when I must be away from home for a day or two. I don't want to cover the pool this early in the fall... the weather is so beautiful and even though the water is too cold to swim, I really enjoy sitting outside next to the water. So I decided to try to rig something to keep the leaves from getting in the skimmer basket. This way, I can quickly bag the leaves from the surface a couple of times a day and still enjoy the pool.

I've enclosed (attached) a photo of a simple leaf guard I made and attached to my pool skimmer. I made it from a metal mesh screen which I know will quickly corrode. I am also concerned about metal getting into the pool water. But, as a proof of concept, it does what I need.

Question for the group - is there a better way? Anyone know of a commercial product to do the same thing?

Attachments

• Pool Skimmer Guard.jpg
    Pool Skimmer Guard.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 459
Thanks for your suggestions. Looks like there may be a market for a commercial version... something that wouldn't corrode, snap in/out easily, and not injure a swimmer who happens to bump into it. Maybe PoolSean will pass this on to his contacts.

Hi rrwcm and welcome to the forum! :wave:

My leaf guard is a 14x24 plastic grid that DH had stashed in the garage. He saves/recycles just about everything.

I tied a nylon string to the top of the grid (put a paver on top of the string to hold it deckside) and tied a water filled bottle to the bottom to hold it in place. It lies flat against the pool wall covering the skimmer.

It does a fantastic job of keeping the leaves under control, but it does look a bit tacky! :mrgreen:

....and, DLSDO :goodjob:

Perhaps we'll get some more ideas!

Thanks for starting this thread :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.