NewBie in Cypress,TX started SLAM

Feb 16, 2013
Cypress, Tx
Hello All,

I need to first admit that I have not employed the 100 % TFP way .
We have had lot of rain in Houston since past 10 days or so.

This past saturday night ( may 16th) I shocked the pool but on sunday morning after all the rain, I found my pool to be greener than ever.

So I decided on SLAM on Monday.
My CYA from Leslie's test on sunday was 70. ( I have ran out of the CYA 013 regent test solution).
my CYA 013 regent test supply shd be coming back on friday ( may 22nd).

Here are my nos from morning-
20,000 gallons chlorine pool.
PH has been 7.4
TA 90.
CC < 0.5
CH - 250

As per the poolmath chart at CYA=70, my shock FC is to be at 28.

My FC last night was at 25 and so I added 1.5 bottle lbs of shock late last night. This morning was at 27.

My 1 problem has been that I have been slamming using Clorox shock. These are the 2 products that I have used
http://www.costco.com/Clorox®-Pool%26Spa™-Shock-XtraBlue®-12-pack.product.100162292.html
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Clorox-Pool-Spa-6-1-lb-XBlue-6-in-1-Shock-33006CLX/205750928

Both I know have dichlor which I understand is not the best idea.
One positive note abt this clorox spa is that they advertise that it does not increase your PH. So far I can vouch for that.

I will check tonight at Leslie's to get my water tested and find my cya number. I can't wait till friday evening to find out.
I hope I have not tripped my CYA.

My questions to the TFPexperts are -
(i) In case my CYA has exceeded, should I give up and then drain ?
(ii) In case I am still below 100 CYA, should I be checking for the FC based on the new value of CYA.
(iii) should I look for the target FC of 28 for FC of 70 or the mustard algae shock value of 39 ?
(iv) what should I really use for raising the FC level now?
I will be working from home on thursday , so hoping that I reach the level and then maintain it.

My pump has been running 24x7 & I had put new set of filters on May 2nd.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
This is the pic from Monday evening after which I started.
I believe I don't have mustard green algae there?

9d201b2d718af033b21da8fa63d134b6.jpg

Both of those products you are using are dichlor, which includes lots of CYA. Stop using them! All the CYA you have added may not show up on testing for at least a week, so until then you really won't know what your number is.

If you were at 70 before you are probably close to 100 now. 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. You should be careful that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Tia, I'm a member just like you. The Moderators will certainly get more specific than me, but I can say the following with relative confidence:
1 - Stop wasting your money on anything other than "regular" bleach or liquid shock from a pool store. Both are the same product with slightly different strength percentages and cost. But liquid bleach is cheaper than other sanitizers, won't cause bad side-effects, and will be your pool's best friend.
2 - You really must get your OWN test kit (see my signature for link). That one-time investment in a TF-100 kit will save you $$$ down the road, not to mention peace of mind getting "accurate" results. You simply cannot trust the readings you receive from local pool stores.
3 - Commit (100%) to the TFP methods. You won't regret it. I converted to TFP over a year ago and my pool is very happy for it.

Spend some spare time getting very familiar with the Pool School info (link in my signature) and you will have everything you need to know. :)

spj318ti said:
Thanks Tim for your prompt reply here -

so what would you recommend me using instead of the dichlor.
As Pat say, bleach.

All forms of chlorine add something to the pool in addition to the chlorine that you want. Some of these things you may need, but many times not.

Trichlor, whihc is mainy 3" tabs adds CYA

Dichlor, which you find in some granular shocks adds CYA, but more than trichlor

CalHypo, which is in some granular shocks adds calcium

Bleach and higher % chlorinating liquids add minute amounts of salt.

The basis of the TFP system is accurate testing and only adding what our pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

I recommend the TF-100 on the list because it is designed for the residential pool owner. It has more of what we use and less (or none) of what we don't use. I personally have a Taylor K-2006, but it was a mistake getting it. There are bottles in the kit I have never used and other that I have had to order refills because my kid didn't have the amount I needed.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I rec'd my CYA kit today. and the CYA number seems to be more like 80-85.
I will post the pics from yesterday and today next from tapatalk.

1 strange thing though - i don't see much change in my filter pressure. I must have started at 17 PSi at around May 2nd and now I am at 19 for this whole week.

CYA 80-85
FC is at 28 will have to raise it to 31.
Ph 7.8
alkalinity 90

I also rec'd my borate test strips today & it is more towards 15.

Now that you are armed with the TF-100, you will do fine. Be patient as the SLAM could take a while. Good thing you are learning the TFP ways now as your CYA is getting a bit high. Just have plenty of bleach on-hand since you know bleach won't add to the CYA. :) Maintaining your chlorine level as recommended in the CYA chart for SLAM should be your primary goal right now. The rest will fall into place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is looking better!

Please update your location by clicking SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left. Climate and location is an important part of the equation for pool advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.