Is Bigger Better

April

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2014
KY
Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump
Pentair Sand Dollar SD-35 100lb Sand Filter
1 return
Pump and sand filter hooked up with hoses (fixing to hard plumb)
400 ft solar heater

I'm having a couple of issues with my sand filter. Instead of putting a $100 into my sand filter I thought it may be better to just go ahead and replace it with something bigger.

Would a bigger sand filter clean better? ( I have to keep a sock in my skimmer at all times now)
Is my pump big enough to run a bigger filter?
Does Hard plumbing make a difference on flow?

I appreciate any help or advice. I have researched pumps and filters but don't understand a lot about what would work best. I'm thinking a Hayward would be easier to find replacement parts instead of the Pentair.

A bigger filter will allow you to go longer between cleanings, but no necessarily filter "better".
Are you backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure?
Yes, your pump should handle a bigger filter
Yes, the hard plumbing makes a big difference in the flow rate over the corrugated hoses.

So hard plumbing is better. Right?
My filter usually runs around 18 clean. I backwash when it gets around 23 or 24.

I usually backwash for at least 2 minutes then I rinse for 1 minute. Where my pump is only 1 speed it pumps a lot of water out quickly so I normally have to shut off the pump after and fill the pool back to the proper level or it will suck air.

You might want to fill up the pool higher and the. Backwash. Rather than a set time, it's better to BW until the water coming out is clear. Otherwise your are leaving things in the filter. You would have to get a feel for how much extra water you may need, but that's better than timing it. If 2 minutes is all it ever takes to get clear, that would be fine, but make sure.

I keep the water level almost at the top of the skimmer. I figured any higher may not get the particles off the top of the water. (I could be wrong).

If there was a way to put some kind of clear pipe ( if they make one??) on the backwash so I could see when it runs clear. I think that would work good. As of now can't see thur the black hose and then it runs under ground to the back of my property. So I try to look at the water when it comes out of the line but hard to tell if its actually completely clear on the ground.

If there is a better way to set it up I appreciate any recommendations. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.