Tying to get pool open, Still dealing with high CYA, got my new Taylor Test Kit.

I have been partial draining and refilling on and off since last week since pool store cya reading of 200. Saturday I had another sample checked with reading of 145, it's been a slow go. The only chemicals that I have added has been Clorox. My water is cystal clear and the water temp is 76.

I got my Taylor test kit yesterday. Feeling somewhat intimidated, I gave it a go this morning with the following results:

FC: 3.6
CC: .2
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 36
CYA: 100

Until this season I had not even had mention to me about cya levels and I am wondering if what I was instructed to treat before pool closing caused this high level of cya.

Where should I go from here? Should I add more clorox to keep it clean till I get the CYA down to 50 or below? Will the pool be safe to swim at all till I get the CYA level down? This newbie thanks you for all your help. V

The potential problem with a CYA reading of 100 is that is the highest the test goes so it could be 200 or 300 or more. You can try a test with half pool water and half tap water to see if it is over 100.

If you've been chlorinating with dichlor or trichlor pucks that is what put the CYA in there.

Chlorine level needs to be maintained in relation to CYA level according to the Chlorine CYA Chart. So, for CYA of 100 your target FC level is 12 and minimum FC level is 7. That means that FC level should never drop below 7 and if it does algae can start to grow.

The pool is safe to swim if:
The chlorine level is below the shock level for your CYA (under 39 for 100 CYA)
The PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
The water is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.