Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello all,

I just recently bought a home here in northern UT that has an in ground pool. It is roughly 20' x 40' and ranges from 3' to 9' deep. It is using a Hayward super pump 1.5hp, a Hayward sand filter and the Chlorination is provided by a Compupool chlorine generator.

I look forward to doing a lot of reading and a lot of learning here and possibly even help someone out some day (once I know what the heck I'm talking about).

At this point I have opened up the cover, raked out the leaves, had a solar heating array installed and repaired some leaking gaskets on the diverter valves and the Compupool unions. It's too cold to swim here still, but I figured now was a good time to get it up and running and get the old water circulating again. My Compupool read out is asking for more salt so I am researching the proper amounts to add and how to properly test the current levels so I don't overshoot my target.

Cheers!

Hi KineKilla,
welcome to TFP. You've come to the right place to figure out how and what to do.

In order to know the condition of the water, first and foremost, you need a reliable test kit. This without doubt will be the best investment you can make in your swimming pool. TFP recommends either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006. Teh K2006 is available a lots of places online and teh TF100 is available only at www.tftestkits.net and www.poolsupplyworld.com

For testing salt, most of us use Salt Test Strips which are usually somewhat reliable, or the Taylor K1766 salt test kit (imo, worth the money for the comfort of knowing with certainty), or just depend on the salt sensor on your saltwater controller. If you are comfortable that your salt system is working properly, just add a bag and wait a few hours, then repeat until the system is happy with the salt level. The problem with the add as needed method, is if the salt senser is wonky, you end up with way too much salt and end up having to drain water to get the salt level down.

Next,
Get aquainted with what the water parameters are. Clicking the Pool School button is a great place to start. Lots of info in there and no one expects you to learn it all instantly, so if you have any specific questions, please feel to ask.

Next,
How to determine how to determine what your chemical levels should be? Well, here you go!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

So Next, of course
How much of something to put in the water in order to obtain recommendations? Well here you go! A handy tool to help you with that!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I hope this helps get you on your way with learning how to care for your pool.

Well hello there in chilly Utah! You will love your pool once you get to use it. It is SO much fun and relaxing! I can't wait to see pics of your pool!

Let us know when you have your test kit and we can walk you through doing the tests.

Kim

I have a test kit but it is not one of the two listed here. I have had the water moving for 2 days around the clock and have put 2 bags of salt in so far but also added a lot of water to bring the pool up to post winter levels. It still says "add salt".

I used my test kit to run some tests tonight and if done correctly, the numbers are as follows:

PH 7.5
FC 4 (PPM?)
TC 3 (PPM?)
Total Alkalinity 150
Acid Demand took 2 drops of reagent to bring it down to 7.2

Still need to get a kit that will allow me to test for CYA and some salt strips. Water is crystal clear, no odors but does need a good vacuuming if I could get a break from the rain long enough to do it.

I have read the Pool School stuff and am using the TFP Pool Calculator.

I'm pretty sure it is below 60 but I'll need to make sure. That is good to know though.

Rear%20Property_zpsyl6wmfpx.jpg

IMG_05551_zpsy7qn8efc.jpg