hi and really need some input!

Apr 23, 2015
Ambler, PA
hi, new here.. been lurking a while during our build and really appreciate the expert advice here. We are halfway through our build and are rethinking a few things..we originally signed our contract for exposed agg cantilever coping and decking. I'm not in love with the idea now but our builder is telling us it's $5k to upgrade to natural stone coping. My idea was actually to do a broom finish colored concrete coping and then do and agg deck. he says they can't do that.
I think they just dont want to.
We are paying a lot for this pool and I'd hate to not do coping but it's a stretch for another $5k.

high level on the pool details are 710 sqft free form, ~20x41, 3-8', dive rock.

i will be posting our build pics soon but could really use some input now regarding coping.. thanks so much!!
alicia

Hi gordo-girl,
the reason your PB told you that you cant do brushed finished coping with exposed aggregate deck is because he is planning on pouring all the concrete at the same time.
You really cant pour all of the concrete, then finish the coping differently than you can the rest of the exposed aggragate part. It would never work out to anyones satisfaction.

In order to accomplish the 2 different concrete finishes, you would have to have 2 different concrete pours which would drive the price up to the point where stone wouldnt be very much more expensive, (if any).

As for the cost of stone. Not only is the stone itself pricey, but its more labor intensive to make it right than concrete is.

yes i do understand the concrete would require separate pours. i found out today that the bigger issue was that they use different subs for the aggregate and broom finish, so you are right, it would definitely drive up the cost to use different materials.
I think the compromise may be stamped concrete so we can sort of get the stone look for the deck and do a different stamp to create a faux coping.
It's just frustrating that my builder doesnt suggest alternate solutions to these issues, he just tells me how much things cost when i ask.
thanks all for the input!

My pool builder showed me a rose color marble called crema eda rosa. It is 2 1/4 inches thick and you can google it to see the picture. The upgrade was about $4200 from standard coping pavers. But I found what was essentially the same product from a place in Florida and it cost only about $1100 plus shipping of about $600. My PB then gave me a credit of $525 for not having to supply the coping. The company in Florida was stonehardscapes. Maybethey or someone else has something you would like and the PB would only have to install it.

Natural stone is very expensie and gets very hot. So does concrete but it's noticeably cooler than real stone such as blue stone. Instead of blue stone I'm going with Techo Bloc concrete pavers. It's not a LOT cheaper but saves a few bucks. The heat was my main concern with kids who will be walking on the coping. They offer nice stuff, though for pavers etc. I don't think they are on the low cost end. https://www.techo-bloc.com/products/bali-travertina/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.