Need advice on tests needed to perform to get help

May 15, 2015
Brooklyn NY
Hi all. I have decided to rid my pool store of their advice and would like to go at it on my own. I ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit a few days ago and it should arrive today. I would like to do the water tests tonight and send in my results to this forum and hopefully get advice as to what I need to do to get my water just right. Can someone please tell me which tests I should perform as a starting point. Thank you very much in advance.

If you have some time before you post back, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

We will help you with getting your pool crystal clear but we don't want to just tell you how to fix it.....we want you to LEARN how and why you are adjusting your parameters.

The idea is to keep you out of the pool store because you will have gained the knowledge you need to manage the pool yourself.

If any of your results are wacky, check Extended Test Kit Directions before you dump the sample out to see if there is a reason or a fix.

+1 on the Extended Test Kit Directions.

On my first reading, they explained that my strange results on my pH and TA test were because I had a TA of 0 and pH of 4.5 or below. (Acid Pool!)
The instructions with the Taylor kit didn't have anything to explain that, I just assumed I did the tests wrong at first.

Hi guys, I did my tests and I think my numbers are a bit out there. Please let me know what I can do to stabilize the water. Thank you

PH 7.8
Alcalinity 140-150
CYA 85
Calcium Hardness 50-60
FC - 12.5-13
Combined Chlorine didnt register.

Please be gentle. Thank you for the advice.

HI Richard. The pool looks crystal clear. Not cloudy at all. I notice some pollen on the surface when the pump isnt running. Atleast I think its pollen. When I turn on pump, it goes into the skimmer and then is gone until the the pump stops. My current % is pretty low on the salt generator. Which acid should I get and how much? Do you think I will need to remove some water and readd with fresh? I run the pump around 10 hours a day. Thanks for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you pooldv. Richard mentioned that my cya was a bit high and I needed to adjust PH with some acid. I assume I need muriatic acid to lower my PH. How do I determine how much of it to pour into the pool? I am all for learning how my pool works and want to take control but I need to get my water perfect with your help and then I can monitor and learn how to maintain it properly. Thank you

Thank you Bruce. Based on the size of my pool, the calculator ssays I have about 6000 gallons of water. I set my FC goal to 7, PH goal to 7.5, TA goal to 100, CH goal to 260 and CYA to 70. Based on that, the math calc says I need 8.1oz of 31.45%. Does that sound like a good first step to get the chemistry right? Also, please advise if the goal levels I mentioned are the correct ones for a SWG Pool. Thank you

In poolmath, in the very last box of the chart, set it up to vinyl/tfp/swg. Unless you feel like draining a bunch of water, set CYA to 85. Then it will tell you the suggested FC level for your pool. That's what you need to fiddle with the SWG for. At the moment, you're over, so turn the SWG down or off. Adjust pH to 7.2 so you can start lowering the TA some. You don't need to add Calcium with a vinyl pool.

Don't obsess. If the water is clear, the pH is in the safe zone, and you have chlorine above minimum and below shock level, it's swimmable. Enjoy it.

Thanks Richard. When I lowered the PH to 7.2, it suggested I put in 21 oz of acid. Was that also your suggestion? Pour in the 21 oz of acid and lower or turn off my SWG as to not produce any more chlorine? Thank you
Yep. That's it. Make sure the pump runs at least half an hour after you add the acid.

Tomorrow, recheck things. pH should be improved, FC should have dropped, TA might have dropped enough to show on a test, but maybe not. When FC drops down to 6 or 7, turn the SWG back on.

I'm going to apologize in advance for asking what might be a stupid question. I just bought a gallon 128 fl oz of muriatic acid. The math sheet said to put in 21 oz of acid. Does that mean I am only putting in around 1/6th of that gallon? It just seems too small of amount for a 6000 gallon pool. Please confirm before I make a monumental error. Thank you

I'm going to apologize in advance for asking what might be a stupid question. I just bought a gallon 128 fl oz of muriatic acid. The math sheet said to put in 21 oz of acid. Does that mean I am only putting in around 1/6th of that gallon? It just seems too small of amount for a 6000 gallon pool. Please confirm before I make a monumental error. Thank you
Yep, that's right. My pool is twice as big as yours, and when it needs acid, it usually only gets 12 or 16 oz at a time. (My TA is lower, so it takes less acid to move pH) A little goes a long way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.