green water from organics or well water?

May 12, 2015
indiana
Good Morning!
I have a 22 foot round above ground pool with a 4600 gph sand filter. This is our second season with the pool. Last summer was perfect and trouble free. We covered our pool with a winter cover that let water through but kept leaves and yuck out. About 3 weeks ago i decided it was warm enough to open the pool. In an effort to shorten the story, I dumped all the stuff on top of the cover into the pool. Lesson learned. So, after raking and sweeping and filtering and chlorinating, we finally got everything out from the cover. Now our pool is full, and transparent with a green tint. I can't get the green to go away. I am not sure if it is algae or green from metals in the well water that we used to fill. Is there an easy way to tell and do I need to drain my pool and have water trucked in? My readings are:
FC 10
Ph 7.2
Alakinity 120
hardness 200
CYA 0 we haven't added stabilizer yet.

Clear green usually means metals. You can verify with a pool store test. While we don't trust their chemical readings, their tests for metals are good enough to give you an idea what's going on.

Ideally, yes you'd need to truck in water (or better yet, hope for rain). I don't know the details, but there are sequestrants you can use to fight metals until the water is replaced. Someone else will have to chime in with instructions for that.

Ok so since I'm a teacher and a skeptic, please help.
True or False:
The pool store confirmed metals in the water but said that since we chlorinated the pool already, the chlorine plated the metals and now they have solidified making metal sequesterents ineffective. They told us to raise pH and alkalinity and backwash the filter like crazy and in two or three days it will clear up........

Like I said, T/F? Second opinions please?

Ignore the pool store and stick with TFP methods. Your TA is already high and your PH is fine where it is right now. Only backwash when your guage rises 15-20% above clean psi or you have low water flow coming from the return.

I can't see in this thread where you confirmed it was metal. Is your water murky green or clear green. Do you have a pic?

Sorry! I see now that it is metal.

You have precipitated SOME of the iron out of your water but probably not all. It will likely clear up on it's own but, assuming you have iron content in your fill water it will simply reappear from time to time.

The solutions are to stop using iron laden fill water or start using a sequestrant.

I would give it at least another 48 hours and see if it clears. If not, use the sequestrant. Repeating, though, you will have to use the sequestrant for the life of the pool as long as you have iron in your fill water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.