Ph Hard to raise

Jul 29, 2013
So i added Borates a little over a week ago, my ph is now a little low 7.2

I seem to be having a hard time raising it to 7.5 i understand that is part of what borates does, but how do i get ph up to 7.5?

I've been aerating for quite a while now

Washing soda or soda ash will do a better job of raising pH per oz. of product than borates. Also, your TA could be unusually low. :testresults: A full suite of test results will give us a much better picture of what is going on.

Thanks for posting those results. I would go with the washing soda or soda ash and keep aerating as you have. You will need about half the amount (by weight or volume) of washing soda or soda ash than you would borates to raise the pH to a given target. Plus, with borates already at 50 ppm, I would not add any more of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your heater is still under warranty, I would follow their recommendations especially if there is a chance you would invoke the warranty. Aside from that, a pH between 7.2 and 7.8 is fine as far as pool water management is concerned. During swim season, I aim for a pH of 7.4 simply because that is very close to the pH of tears and therefore easier on the eyes. During the off-season, I let pH drift up a bit to 7.6-7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.