Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Pool built in 2000. Had it refurbed last season, 2014. Plaster was getting pourous and tiles were coming loose, especially at the raised beam under the sheer descent. Changed from white plaster and ceramic tiles to blue/grey plaster with ceramic color quartz and glass tiles. Here are before and after pics. I tried to insert a few in between pics during the refurb, but files were to large I guess. I really need to learn abut this TFP chemical method. Briefly skimmed over some posts and apparently my inline chlorinator with 3" tabs is not the best maintenance method for keeping my pool healthy. I am also using aquacheck select test strips. Dip, wait 15 seconds, get all of your readings in one shot.

Before...
100_1586.jpg

After...

100_4404.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP. Nice pool transformation (although the "before" pic looked pretty good too from what I can see).

JamesR said:
...apparently my inline chlorinator with 3" tabs is not the best maintenance method for keeping my pool healthy.
Correct. Continued use of tabs will raise CYA levels and necessitate ever-higher chlorine levels to compensate. See Chlorine CYA Chart. This is the most important relationship to understand if you want to maintain a crystal-clear pool.

JamesR said:
I am also using aquacheck select test strips.
We recommend getting a good drop-type test kit like one of these Recommended Test Kits. Test strips do not provide the accuracy needed to properly maintain your pool. The test strips I have seen have wide ranges on what they consider good (e.g., they often call CYA in the range of 30-80 "good"). While that's usually true for a manually-chlorinated pool, a SWG pool will need CYA in the 70-80 ppm range. While a CYA of 30-50 is good for a manually-dosed pool, it is not good for a SWG pool. Plus, knowing that the CYA is between 30 and 80 ppm does not give you enough information on what chlorine level you need to maintain.

If you haven't already, I would check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Looking at your link to recommended test kits, it appears that the TF-100 is the most versatile kit. I will order one of those.

Looks nice James. And hey ... definitely take charge of testing on your own using one of the recommended kits. I use the TF-100 with the magnetic stirrer. Not only do I look like a rocket-scientist now, our pool is always clear :) The TFP way works.

Thanks all. I just ordered the TF-100 kit. Read the TFPC for beginners thread and posted a comment at the end of that long topic.

Thank you! You cannot imagine the amount of pool tile and glass samples the wife had at our home when we were re-doing this pool. You could have tiled a complete pool using all of them! I think I had more samples in our dining room that NPT had in their showroom. We are real happy with the glass look against the water color. Gives it an inviting soft appearance.

ps.... how do I attach another picture? I get a message stating I have exceeded file size. Is there a limit to what I can upload per each topic or for each reply?

Easiest way is to link to an external picture storage like Flikr or Google+. No limit there.
Otherwise you can get more space here by contributing to the Website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great and I agree 1000% with Richard!!! Welcome to the forum and on a serious note it is so liberating to know the chemistry behind what happens with a very large investment like an IG pool and the effects chemicals have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the after picture would look even better with a bunch of babes in bikinis lounging around it. :p
True, but I don't think the wife would appreciate "a bunch of babes" in there.
......Honest honey I though they were your friends, I have no idea how they got here.

Question about your new plaster - was it just a regular plaster (no Quartz added or anything) with some color added?

I really like your plaster color. We're about to redo our pool with a basic white plaster and wondering if I should consider coloring it a bit.

Question about your new plaster - was it just a regular plaster (no Quartz added or anything) with some color added?

I really like your plaster color. We're about to redo our pool with a basic white plaster and wondering if I should consider coloring it a bit.
So sorry for the very late reply, but it is grey dyed plaster with many different quartz colors embedded into it. Gives it a nice blue/turquoise color in the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.