Cloudy water and leaves in the bottom

Jun 23, 2012
Farmington wv
I have been using bbb for the last few years. This year I never got around to covering my pool 24 round 4 foot deep. I did drain everything. I fill it all back up and started the pump and filter a week and a few days ago. I have killed all the algae but the water is still very cloudy. I know there are leaves in the middle I can see the dark ring. Should I try to clean the leaves out before I do anything else? Should I just net them out? because I can't see the bottom.
This is the third summer on the sand filter 300 or 350lb can't remember. Does the sand need replaced or cleaned? It just seems like it's not filtering the water.
I checked the water this morning with the Taylor test kit
FC 13. Held over night.
Cc 0
Ph. 7.4 also tested at work with a ph probe and it showed 7.6
Ta 80 tested at work shows 88
Tds 1540
Cya 30

The sand does not need replaced.

What is your psi? When did you last backwash.

I suspect you just need a little more patience. You certainly need to net out everything you can to speed up the process.

How are you chlorinating?

You don't need to get all the leaves out to get a clear pool, trust me on that one. The guys here will fill you in on the details but in short, shock the **** out of it, leave the pump on overnight and in the morning you should have a clear pool. Once you do then you can work on getting those leaves out and then vacuum 1,234 times to get the rest of the dirt out. I'm on the vacuuming part right now and MAN is my water cold.

One important part is MAKE SURE you backwash the filter every few hours otherwise you are filtering through a dirty filter and it just won't work. I'm no expert but I know what works for me.

I agree with Duraleigh. Get as much out as you can and the process will go much quicker. I usually just backwashing on the water flow from the return. When I notice it slows and I know the skimmer is clean the I backwash.

I may have been wrong about there being no algae in the pool. I went and got a new net today and scooped the leaves out of the pool and it turned green. Dead algae won't turn a pool great right? I just checked and added some bleach and will check and add in the morning. Im hoping to get this thing clear soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The algae was probably growing in the leaves and scooping out the leaves loosened all the debris into suspension. It will take time to filter out the fine debris. Keep the FC up and filter out the debris, backwashing as needed.

Good! You are on the right track. Do you think there are more leaves on the bottom? I bet they were hiding the algae and helping it grow.

I have a leaf glupper and is WONDERFUL at getting large amounts of leaves out. Here is a link to what one looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191345818256

Keep the SLAM up and your water will clear. Watch your filter pressure and backwash as needed. You do not need new sand but you can do a deep clean if you have time. Do a search and it should come up.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.