DE Entering Pool

May 16, 2015
Granby, CT
I have DE entering my pool through one of the returns as soon as I add DE to the skimmer. (I add as a mixture of water and DE). I recently purchased a brand new Hayward DE grid thinking that DE may have been getting through the previous grid, but this has not fixed the problem. I also added a brand new multi-port valve and this did not solve the issue. The only thing left that I can think of is to replace the elbow arm inside of the Filter. I've checked and it does not seem to be cracked, but I don't know what else to do.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can do now that I've eliminated the grid and the multi-port valve as potential causes?

You'll need to take it apart one more time and check all the O-rings are present, and that nothing is cracked and that everything is properly seated. It won't take much of a gap to pass a lot of DE. Face it, the stuff is dust. And if you've ever played fireman with the backwash hose, you'll realize just how much water is moving through that filter under pressure. It's kind of impressive that the screens can stop it.

I would especially check parts 17 & 25 http://www.poolzoom.com/hayward-pro-grid-de-filter-parts-de2420-de3620-de4820-de6020-de7220.html

Here are some causes you might check for:
- Opening or tear in one or more Flex-Tubes
- Rip or hole diaphragm gasket
- Worn or loose fitting diaphragm gasket (chemicals fed through suction lines may shorten life of this part)
- Loose bolts on tube nest plates

JM,

If I understand correctly, water and new DE enters through the bottom port of your filter, filling up the filter housing, then the water moves through the grids leaving the DE behind. Water exits the grids through the top manifold and down through the outlet elbow back to your multiport valve. So.. if DE is getting out, it has to be because of a bad or improperly installed grid, a faulty manifold, or a broken elbow or elbow O-ring. Are you sure that you reassembled the grids into the manifold correctly? I say this only because I have screwed this up before so I know it is possible to do.

I assume we are not talking about a small amount of DE that goes away after a minute or so..

What does the filter pressure gage show?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes JM, I think you've got it right and we're talking about a lot of DE. I purchased a brand new grid that comes pre-assembled with manifolds attached etc. Literally pull it out of the box and place it back in the Filter and on top of the elbow. Replaced the o-ring that is on elbow too. DE was leaking when I first opened the pool and so I pulled out that manifold/grid and replaced with the new one. Thought this was fix it, but it didn't. So - I'm not thinking that it is the grid or manifold or o-ring. I have ordered a new elbow just to be sure - but did not see any evidence of cracks in it. I'm not optimistic that this will solve it and thus the thread.

I suppose I could have bought a brand new and defective grid - but that would seem unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank-you Richard 320. I did replace the O-ring (#17) and also bought a new #25 with O-ring already on it just to be sure and eliminate those two possibilities. Hard to believe that I could have purchased a brand new manifold/grid and that there is a tear or crack in it. DE was entering with the old manifold/grid and the brand new manifold/grid - I"m thinking that they both can't be the problem and so it must be somewhere else.

I'm sorry . Did not catch that at first. Now I see that you have Hayward 6020 which uses the plates. Mine is Hayward Perflex EC50 and it uses those funny fingers. Does it shoots air bubbles out of the return?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.