CYA Test

Tanker

Sep 20, 2014
Elgin, IL
My pool is great chemically and is clear. I just loathe the CYA test. Just as the dot MAY disappear, I start to see my reflection on the surface of the testing tube. Hate that. I do the test with my back to the sun, waist level and all that... (And pour solution back in the bottle and retest). My reflected image is cute and all, but to check the dot, I have to lift the testing tube, shift it sideways, or bend forward. Then the dot faintly shows so I continue adding drops. Am I just a narcissist at heart, or is this normal?

there was a post a couple of years ago that i use
usual back to sun at waist height and minimum of room temperature water
but fill tube to 100 level then hold at waist level and have a quick look, dont stare at it for ages trying to decide if you can see dot
then fill to next level and hold at waist level and have a look
keep repeating until dot disappears with a quick look without staring

If you move the bottom of the test tube around a little bit while you're taking a reading, you'll be able to perceive the movement of the dot below the reflections on the surface. Our eyes are much better at perceiving motion than perceiving subtle differences in shades of grey.

I feel everyone's pain. The CYA test is the hardest.......but it gets better with practice.

Try taking an average....pour it in the first time and if you think the dot is gone, stop the test and note the level.

Then do the same a second and third time and then average it. I promise you will be surprised at how accurate you will soon be. Also remember to think of the results in terms of 10 ppm 30 ppm, 50 ppm, etc. No further precision is needed.

Take heart that there is NO better test. All the testing companies use it as the standard. The strips are pretty worthless and the digital testers (ColorQ) often fail badly

there was a post a couple of years ago that i use
usual back to sun at waist height and minimum of room temperature water
but fill tube to 100 level then hold at waist level and have a quick look, dont stare at it for ages trying to decide if you can see dot
then fill to next level and hold at waist level and have a look
keep repeating until dot disappears with a quick look without staring

I like that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.