I need a gate for AGP side deck but where? Top or bottom of stairs?

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
I need to put an entrance gate to my side pool deck. You enter up a set of stairs. The gate has to open out according to most all codes but do they govern whether it goes ground level or deck level on an AGP? if the gate is at the top and has to be opened out then obviously one has to step back down the stairs to do so. Ground level makes more sense. I read it somewhere but can't remember what I read.

The real deciding factor is whether the handrail can be climbed or has opening's large enough to crawl through if the gate is on the bottom. If the handrails can't be breached then it should be fine to put at ground level. However, your insurance and/or local AHJ has the final say.

As Dave said, if it is required by your locality or insurance then you will have to see what they require. If you have flexibility, we really like our retractable gate. It is certified for top of stair use as well. That would avoid a swinging in/out issue. But we aren't required to have anything here, this is just something we wanted to install ourselves, so I have no idea how it would work with a code.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.