Automation for Smaller Pool with Solar, SWG, & Heater

Jul 14, 2014
New York
I would like to upgrade my current equipment setup and add a SWG, Solar, and Variable Speed Pump. It appears that the smaller variable speed pumps from Pentair and Hayward don't integrate with any of their automation systems. An Echostar is overkill for my pool, so do I just need to settle for no control of my VSP?

It appears the Omnilogic is the best choice if I want internet connectivity as it is included (I can get ethernet to it easily). Does anyone know whether the Tristar VS will work with the Omnilogic? I could get the Hayward Maxflo VSPND...according to the manual "It can be controlled by Hayward Pool & Spa Controls". I read through the Pro Logic and Omni logic manuals and there is no mention of using the low voltage relays for pump speed control.

Any suggestions?

My pump is overkill for my pool for sure, but I love it! I run at 1100rpm to skim and make chlorine at 150 watts and I run at 1950 rpm for solar at @450 or 500 watts. It is cheap to operate and gives you infinite control of your water flow. And it works great with my Solartouch, which was only 260 bucks. Pics of my solar and plumbing in my build thread in sig.

You would need a Suntouch to control the heater and solar. I think it is 400 bucks at sunplay.com.

Update:
I have narrowed it down to the Pentair Easytouch package with 40k SWG & Prologic II interface or Hayward PL-PLUS package with 40K SWG & Hayward Aquaconnect. Both are about $1,600 online. My Hayward 1.5HP Superpump is still working so will stick with that for now. I like the Pentair pumps better, but would be ok finding a Hayward that would work with my 1.5" plumbing. I have an inquiry into Pentair on whether the Easytouch spare relays can be used to trigger the different speeds on the Superflo VS pump. Of the four, one is for the pump & gas heater (currently wired together so heater can only go on when pump is running), another will be for the pool light, then I have two spare for triggering pump speeds (using low voltage). Technically if I only want to trigger a specific pump speed for solar generation, I can wire it in parallel with the valve actuator (I would need to test the voltage of that output)

I tried to figure out a similar system from Jandy/Zodiac, but their systems are very confusing.

I decided to go with the Pentair. It is cheaper overall than Hayward Pro Logic.
Easytouch with IC40 - 520593 - $1,139
Screen Logic - 522104 - $369
Total: $1,508

To do this with Hayward would cost close to $1,900 since you need to buy the separate wireless antenna in addition to the Aquaconnect.

I am also sticking with the Superflo VS pump. I talked to Pentair and they said i can use the 2-speed relay output (low voltage) to trigger a high speed on the VS. I can also use the aux relays, but those would all be manual as they would not be part of any automation with the SWG and Heating functions.

Are you a golfer? What you are doing is like playing a round without taking a driver with you. The EasyTouch, SWG, ScreenLogic, are all made to run with the Intelliflo VS. I can almost guarantee that you will not be happy with the way the system will perform using the Superflo.

There is an old story about if you buy the best you can, you will only cry once.. Buy the second best and you will cry every time you use it.

But, as always, it is easy for me to spend your money, but I still suggest you rethink the Superflo.. You can thank me later.. ;)

Jim R.

I only have 1 1/2" piping and limited space. I also can't get the utility rebate without having it professionally installed by an approved contractor.

Should I just keep my fully functional Hayward super pump for now until it fails?

I will measure to see if I can fit the Intelliflo. Problem is that we need to have Pentair products professionally installed to get the 3-year warrantee. Most installers want to sell the equipment and not just do install. They tell me that their price from the local distributor is higher that online prices...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 1 1/2" plumbing is not an issue by itself, but your limited space may be. I use the Intelliflo on two pools with 1 1/2" plumbing without any issues.

Not sure what to say about the Warranty issue. I had assumed the same people that were going to install your EasyTouch, SWG, and ScreenLogic would also install the pump. My take on the Warranty issue is that if it works for 90 days it most likely will work for three years. Obviously some risk involved, but not something that kept me from installing two systems myself.

Don't let me talk you into doing something that you are not comfortable with..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.