undissolved cal hypo

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I added a bag of Cal Hypo shock yesterday that I had in the shed(since last year). I normally don't use that type of chlorine since I learned that a vinyl linered pool doesnt need the calcium. Anyway, most of the shock seems to have collected in various spots on the bottom of the pool floor(ironically the same spots where the brown dust keeps showing) Does this stuff take awhile to dissolve? Its been 24 hrs now. Is it because the bag is a year old(it was tightly sealed, and unopened).

bud,

If you use any more of it, put it in the skimmer and let the pump suck it into the sand filter where it will slowly dissolve.

What you have already put in, brush right away to prevent bleaching the liner.

Please allow me to give my advice on adding cal-hypo to a liner pool :)

Fill a 5 gal bucket with water, add the cal-hypo and stir it. Then add the mixture to the pool at an active return until you see the 'powder stuff' pouring out, then stop pouring it into the pool. Refill the bucket and stir again - then add the whole mix into the pool at an active return - you'll see some 'debris' coming out as it empties, but that's just "ash" and won't harm anything :-D

The reason for the premixing is to insure that the grains that haven't dissolved won't bleach the liner.

duraleigh said:
bud,

If you use any more of it, put it in the skimmer and let the pump suck it into the sand filter where it will slowly dissolve.

What you have already put in, brush right away to prevent bleaching the liner.

I use chlorine tabs (trichlor) in an autochlorinator sometimes to increase my CYA or chlorinate while I'm on vacation. I think I read somewhere that I shouldn't put cal hypo in the skimmer, because there is a risk that some of it will get to the autochlorinator where there may be traces of trichlor left, because of the explosion risk. What do you think?

When I use cal hypo I do the bucket thing, but it is such a pain, pouring it out, refilling the bucket, over and over, and I still end up with undissolved cal hypo. I usually just brush the heck out of it, like every few hours until I get it to dissolve. I think it has in fact bleached areas of my liner along the seams where it tends to collect.

jnorris said:
I use chlorine tabs (trichlor) in an autochlorinator sometimes to increase my CYA or chlorinate while I'm on vacation. I think I read somewhere that I shouldn't put cal hypo in the skimmer, because there is a risk that some of it will get to the autochlorinator where there may be traces of trichlor left, because of the explosion risk. What do you think?

When I use cal hypo I do the bucket thing, but it is such a pain, pouring it out, refilling the bucket, over and over, and I still end up with undissolved cal hypo. I usually just brush the heck out of it, like every few hours until I get it to dissolve. I think it has in fact bleached areas of my liner along the seams where it tends to collect.

That is a real danger. Cal Hypo and stabilized chlorine don't play well together. The odds of an explosion from using the skimmer are probably low, but I wouldn't risk it if you know you have tabs in there.

When you do the bucket it's a good idea to keep the bucket in the pool so that the buoyancy of the water will hold it at whatever level you have it full to. That way you don't have to pick up 40lbs of water and you don't risk splashing it all over your deck.

I'd recommend both the bucket and brush because you'll never pre-dissolve it all. And don't be tempted to add other chemicals, especially granular pH decreaser, at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.