'Almost' New Member and First Test Results

PSU Joe

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Garnet Valley/PA
Found this site last year and was very helpful when had an algae bloom and got tired of the pool store kids selling me things that didn't work. Being a chemist I should have known better and after reading tons on here I definitely know better now. Opened the pool this Saturday and was nice and green. Couldn't find a K-2006 test kit anywhere local so ordered a TF-100 but while waiting for it to arrive went and bought reagents for an old Leslie's DPD kit the original owner had around so I could test the pH and FC while I waited for the TF-100 kit. The pH was 7.5 so I started mini-slamming while waiting. Water went from green to crystal clear in three days. Brushed and backwashed numerous times a day. TF-100 kit arrived today so waited until after dark and just finished my first tests. Results are below.

FC - 15
CC - 0.5
pH - 8 (assume is reading high due to SLAM FC levels)
TA - 100
CH - 225
CYA - 25 (but was doing with only decent inside light but clearly is low)

So I know I need to get the CYA up between 70-80 for a SWG pool. Do I need to address the TA also now or wait until I pass an OCLT and let the FC and pH normalize? Unfortunately I have to travel tomorrow for business so won't really be able to do too much until Thursday. I'm hoping that I can squeeze in a quick FC test before I leave tomorrow morning (at 5am).

Thanks in advance for any advice and for such a great resource!

Joe

Welcome! :wave:

There's nothing wrong with your TA. As you adjust pH, it will come down on it's own quick enough. And you have it figured with the pH test and the high FC, so no comments needed there aside from "good job!"

So, yeah, get a better CYA test - most of us pour the sample back and forth multiple times when we test it - and add it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.