Help with filter

Jun 7, 2013
Millville, PA
First I'd like to say I've learned a ton from this site so thank you. Now to my problem. I opened my pool today and initially everything was fine. Before opening my pool this year I changed from hoses to pvc pipe for plumbing and all was good with no leaks. When I opened everything to let the water into pump, filter and lines everything was good. I turned the pump on and because I didn't rinse the sand filter first I got a lot of sand spit into the pool. Didn't think it was a big deal and I just vacuumed it up with the rest of the pool. When I vacuumed the pool I vacuumed it in the filter position because the water is clear and I only have a well to fill my pool. When I got towards the end of vacuuming I found more sand in the pool but noticed my pressure at pump and filter was low so I thought I should backwash before continuing. When I back washed nothing came out. Same with rinse and filter settings. When I put pump on recirculation or waste it is fine. But again, no to little flow on filter, backwash and rinse settings. Both skimmer and pump basket are full with no air bubbles in pump basket. I have a Hayward pump, vari-flow valve and sand filter on an above ground pool. I am thinking something in the filter is clogged but wanted opinions first. Thanks for any help in advance. And sorry for the lack of a signature. I will get that done before my next post.

Where are you located? It helps us a lot if you fill out your location. Does it freeze where you live? Was the filter drained and winterized? I've read of the standpipe getting crushed by freezing water in the filter, but it doesn't freeze where I live, so no firsthand experience. A good thread that explains how a sand filter works and how to open it up is here.

Yes I live where it freezes in central, Pa. It was a very cold winter. I did drain the filter and left the plug out all winter. I also back washed it good before I covered it. I left the vari-flow valve on top though. I just went out and set it to recirculation for the night because I put bleach in it earlier and I at least want the bleach to circulate. Pressure Guage on pump read approximately 15 psi which if I remember right is correct and I had good flow coming out of the return.

Zea3. You must be psychic. Just went out and checked and that is exactly what I did. I thought I was smarter than that but I guess not. At least I put unions right next to the filter input and output so hopefully I can swap them easily. Thanks for your help. In the 2 years I have had a pool and used this site I have learned that the people at my local pool shop are not terribly knowledgeable and that that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. BTW I turned off the pump for the night because I didn't want to chance damaging anything until I can fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.