Closed pool but .....

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello
I had a company come in and close my built in pool here in NY. He said it wasn't necessary to rinse out my Hayward filter as he did a very good back wash. He said Hayward recommends it being opened and cleaned once every 5 years. This sound right to you? Also my salt in line control unit is still hooked up and I thought that should of been taken in. Any thoughts? Would you like me to post a picture or two? Let me know
Also my water level was not dropped, it still goes into the skimmers which have been plugged and have those gizzo's in them

This is my first year with the pool and would like to do things the right way.

Thanks

What kind of filter do you have? If it is a sand filter then he is right, just backwash. If it is a cartridge then the cartridges should be removed and washed off throughly. If it is a DE filter opening and cleaning is also recommended.

There are many ways to close a pool. The technique you describe is reasonable as long as it is done correctly, and your aren't too far north.

Using a font that large is considered shouting. It is best not to shout.

Hi, Tom,

You defintely want to take apart and clean your DE filter every year. Sounds like the pool company guy is either completely unknowledgable or incredibly lazy! It's really not that big of deal to do. After you've been a member of this forum and had your pool awhile you should consider just clsoing the pool yourself. At least you'll know it's done right (with all the generous help of all the wonderful folks in this forum!).

Ok I have good news and some bad news...

I was able to get the cover apart (very easy!) my old Doughboy DE filter had about 40 bolts that had to be undone. Once apart I hosed everything out and I must say it looked pretty good. I was not able to pull out the grid unit because I wasn't sure what was hanging up on it. I assume now it is where the plastic pipe comes up towards the top and has an O ring. I put everything back together and will make a point to do a more thorough job next year.
Now I just have to get to the store to buy a pair of channel locks big enough to get the unions off of the SWG and heater.

Thanks again for the help

Strap wrench worked out perfectly. Now can you recommend something to cover the inlet and outlet on the heater as well as the one open return from the SWG? Do I use electrical tape, duct tape? The pool guys put some type of black 1-1/2 tape on but not sure just what it is.

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tom, if the homeowner doesn't want to invest in some rubber plugs, we put plastic on the openings and duct tape it on (the plastic keeps the tape adhesive from sticking to the pipes/ threads)

All you're trying to do is keep critters out of the lines as well as rain/ snow :wink:

Glad you got the unions disconnected :goodjob:

OK Thanks

I put duct tape directly on the pipe ends. Maybe I should redo it with the plastic under the duct tape? Or do you think it will be all right. I even duct taped the filter openings so nothing gets into it while in the shed. I would buy the pvc end cap fittings if they make them

Only thing left outside is the heater and the Electric control panel which has the SWG control unit behind it. I want to cover the control panels from the weather and was thinking of putting a 15 gallon plastic drum over it. Similar to a narrow garbage can. Someone suggested shrink wrap. What do you guys recommend I do
The heater will get a cover

Thanks

Tom,

You are really going above and beyond here. Keep in mind that the things you are covering exist in part to keep the elements off of the important bits already. I'd be just as concerned with trapping something in whatever cover you use (moisture, rodents, etc.) as any damage that the weather could do. These things are made to live outside. You have a much harsher climate there than I do, so maybe some of this is necessary, but all this disconnecting and covering up can sometimes cause more problems than it solves.

That said, keep up the enthusiasm!

Tim

point taken and I appreciate it. I had my old timer from the old pool rust out on me (after 12 years) so I thought maybe I should just go the extra step. I am worried about moisture build up and that is why I will only cover the top of my heater. Just not sure how "tough" the electric panel and SWG control panel are.

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.