Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
UPDATE: EXCAVATION NEARING COMPLETION, PICS AND QUESTIONS ON LAST POST

Hello, my name is Brian and I may be a new pool owner soon. The wife and I are looking into putting in a semi inground saltwater pool into our pretty small backyard in Gulfport Ms. Can someone look over my pool package I put together and suggest replacements or additions to the package for me. Hopefully I have attached pictures of the package and of my yard to see the pool placement. There will be a deck around most of the pool but not all of it. I am pretty new to pools so I have been reading up on this site trying to learn the basics. Longs ways to go but thought this was a good start.

The pool is the saltwater 8000 from poolfactory.com at 12x20x54" for about 5600 gollons. For the price it seemed to be the best value oval pool that can be buried semi inground and tolerate saltwater. After searching there arent too many members on here with experience with this pool but that is ok. Im more concerned with the SWG, and other accessories that are chosen.

Attachments

• WP_20150516_001.jpg
    WP_20150516_001.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 546
  • MINDYPC - pool.jpg
    MINDYPC - pool.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Hey Brian welcome.

I'd ditch the wall foam. It serves no real purpose n doesn't hold heat.

As far As your pump and filter goes, get a 2 speed pump with the biggest sand filter you can afford. That way, you won't be back washing a lot and losing water unnecessarily. If I were you, I'd actually buy the 2 speed pump filter combo elsewhere If they don't offer one.

I did not see you mention a test kit. It would be in your best interest of pool care to order a TF100 through tftestkits.net. The speed stir is awesome too.

What ^^^^said about wall foam. That cushioning makes the lounger more susceptible to punctures. I would definitely get a larger filter, which would reduce the amount of backwashing you have to do.

I would check Amazon and search Google and eBay to see if you can get a better deal on the steps. The site you are using gets good ratings so maybe you can't buy checking won't hurt.
I'm excited to see this project unfold!

Really appreciate the help guys. I will check on amazon for steps and for the two speed pump. We are planning on renting a "trachoe" from the local abc rental store and digging the pool in to the maximum 27" the warranty covers. They are having amemorial day sale which I have been eyeing the past two weeks so the wife and I have been in constant discussion about this pool and I believe we are ready to pull the trigger. I really appreciate your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since this is a small 5600 gallon pool what size sand filter is reccommended?

Get the biggest sand filter you can afford. Seriously. Do not skimp,on this!

Is it worth upgrading to a 30 gauge liner? I have dogs and tbere is no way I can keep the golden retriever out of the pool. He will no where the fiberglas steps are so im sure he wont hit the sides too much but is the 30 gauge worth the extra money?

I have a Saltwater 8000 from The Pool Factory and we love it so far! Just installed last spring and did it ourselves with no issues.

One thing: there are stainless steel strips for each side of the ss wall that should be installed before bolting the walls together. Our strips were "hidden" in the box and did not get installed and I had a slight meltdown when I noticed they were missed. Needless to say we didn't start over and our pool is completely fine but I almost can't wait to have to replace the liner so we can put those strips on for my sanity!!! Don't forget yours!!!

I have different equipment than what you've listed so I can't offer much there, but our overall experience with the pool factory was great. Good luck!!

The thicker the better but must seem happy with 25. A paver shifted under my pool and it has been pressing into the liner for a year (I assume the Gorilla Pad is there too) and it has not punctured my 25 mil liner. If the price is not much different, I would go for it

The high the gauge the better the liner. You'll want to lay it out in the Sun to get it nice n pliable to work with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so im thinking of going with an intrex salt water generator rated for up to a 15,000 gallon pool:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/40900286?...36884209&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=90468267684&veh=sem

Combined with this 1hp 2 speed sand filter pump (waterway clearwater)
http://www.amazon.com/Waterway-Clea...63117&sr=8-10&keywords=2+speed+pool+pump+sand

Do these seem like good options for my 12x20x54" semi inground pool?

If it were me, I would go with a Hayward pump. The one I have has been amazing. I am not familiar with Waterways. Perhaps, someone else will jump into the conversation.

About that Intex SWG. If the connections standard 1 1/2, you're good. However, I believe you are going to have to do some slight modifications to connect it to your pool. Search the forum, I know others have done it. I am using an Intex And Filter with my pool and Hayward pump. My installer took a few joy rides to the hardware store but it works

So our liner we ordered was out of stock, so we had to make quick decision on a replacement and I'm now having major second thoughts. Anyone have a picture of the"Catalina" pool liner or a similar liner installed on their pool they can post so I can calm down and trust my choices.

Ok we went with:
SWG
Aquatrol Goldline HP

Sand Filter Pump
Waterway 22" 1.5hp 2 speed 150lbs

Tf100 test kit

Last thing I think I need is some sort of vacuum or robot cleaner.

Anything else I am missing?

Get a robot. I worked my way up and spent more money that way. Some people like connecting the cleaner and I thought I did. Well, that was until I bought the robot and realized the more hands off my pool is the happier I am.

Well we dug out the majority area needed for the pool but it has been raining like crazy lately so the ground is soaked. Once it dries out we can get in there with hand shovels to finish digging and level everything off. My backyard looks like a monster trucks rally. I probably should have waited until the ground had dried out before we rented the trachoe but my work schedule is so hectic that we had to take advantage of the opportunity that we had. Hopefully we will have a few dry hot days so i can get back in there and finish the dig.

Well I tried to post photos but it keeps giving me an error when I try to upload them and of course photobucket is down for maintenence.

- - - Updated - - -

its a swamp in there but its starting to dry out.

- - - Updated - - -

We have spent the day today clearing most of the dirt/mud near the fence and house since we cant get in the pool area yet.

excavation is about done, we are waiting for it to dry out than we can compact and level. My plan is to shovel out the rough parts made duringthe excavation and the spots the trachoe couldnt reach, than I will add about an inc layer of sand or gravel and compact that sand/gravel with the dirt in there using a plate compacter. Next I will bring in more sand to use to set the pavers and level the area for the pool walls. Does all of this sound like the right steps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.