What do I correct first?

May 12, 2015
wilkes barre PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I received my professional Taylor Kit today, and did all the tests. It is amazing what I am learning after 25 years! I have a cloudy pool that will not clear, and now everything is making sense as to why.
Here are my first set of numbers.
PH 7.8
FC 0.4
CC 2.2
TA 330
CH 0 (stayed blue so soft water?)
CYA 45

My guess is that I have to:
1. Lower the PH to get my TA down,.
2. add some calcium to raise the hardness
3. and I positively have to SLAM the pool.

I am just not sure in what order I should do all of this.

When I was at the pool store a few days ago, he did say that my CH was 0 and I confirmed it with my test. He wanted to sell me an expensive bag of calcium to raise it, but I remember one time before I used “Quick Joe” calcium chloride (for ice melt) and that worked fine.

Thanks for any advice!
Sean

Fix pH and SLAM. You have a vinyl -lined pool, so you have no worries about leaching Calcium out of the plaster. Don't waste money on adding it, unless the water foams after it's clear.

The other alternative is to use Cal-hypo instead of bleach for the SLAM. It might not be cheaper, but you'll get fewer strange looks wheeling a pail of pool chlorine out to your car versus thirty jugs of bleach. :laughblue:

I would absolutely not worry about the calcium. I don't even know what my CH is.

Fix the pH and SLAM the pool!

OK I got the PH to the correct level and started the SLAM. When I tested the sample, I wa amazed that the FC is still so low. I am having a hard time getting the FC to the right level, but the CC is off the wall! I remember you said that this is normal because the alge eats it fast at first. so I just keep adding chlorine until the break point? really scary.

OK I got the PH to the correct level and started the SLAM. When I tested the sample, I wa amazed that the FC is still so low. I am having a hard time getting the FC to the right level, but the CC is off the wall! I remember you said that this is normal because the alge eats it fast at first. so I just keep adding chlorine until the break point? really scary.
Early in the SLAM test and adjusting every hour speeds things up. As the chlorine begins to hold yu can spread the testing and adjusting out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.