Booster pump plumbing

heatdissipation

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 13, 2014
Central PA
I have a variable speed pump for my main pump, but I want a booster pump to run my water features, deck jets, water slide, and four jets in the back of the buddy seats, they were here today hooking up all the plumbing and mentioned to me that they were using one skimmer for the booster pump and one skimmer for the main pump. I asked if they could just "T" off the main drain for the booster pump instead of dedicating a skimmer only to the booster pump. Reason being is that I am going to put actuators on all plumbing for the omnilogic to control and I really wanted both skimmers working when I have the main pump running, the main drain would still be running to both pumps, but the booster pump would pull from the main drain when the controller calls for the booster to be running. They seemed very confused by this and I am wondering if I am asking too much, there would be an actuator valve at that "T" for the main drain controlled by the omnilogic.

As soon as you share something like that you need check valves to prevent undesired flows of water.
eg Main pump running drawing from the drain line, but also pulling water back thru the booster pump from it's return lines.
That eventually would suck air.

If I am misunderstanding your configuration, you might need a diagram to describe what you want to do, including the lines, valves & pumps

Would help to have a diagram as previous poster suggested.

My previous pool had a separate pump for the tanning ledge bubblers, water wok's, and waterfall. It pulled from 2 drains located on the side of the pool and was completely separate from the main pump and filter / heater plumbing. I never had to open the pump basket in 3 years to clean out any debris since the suction was on the vertical wall of the pool.

I don't see how it makes sense to have the water features pull from a skimmer. You will just end up circulating debris in the pool and only capture large items in the skimmer basket. I would recommend having both skimmers plumbed to the filter.

There is no diagram because the plumbing is not done, i am trying to figure out the best way to tell them how I want it. I am just wanting opinions on if it would work "T"ing off the main drain, or should I just let them use a skimmer. I can't sit down and draw a diagram as I don't know enough about it and this whole work thing is keeping me to busy. :)

Last edited:
All of those features would benefit with their own suction side lines to the pool. Essentially another pool drain dedicated to booster & water features.
This secondary drain need not be in the floor of pool it can be in the wall.
My pool has 5 sets of drains in the main pool to deal with my unusual demands.
Link to my build
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/93076-New-Build-Spring-TX

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.