Draining a pool

Oct 9, 2008
I have an in-ground pool and live in Arizona. The pool has a a paper filter and is approximately 10,000 gallons. My pool pump went out on me and it was a couple weeks before someone finally came out to repair it. Though I kept cholrine in it and tried to maintain the algea it has been over taken. I am now at the point of draining the pool (after several attempts to vaccum, add checmicals and change the filter).

My questions are these:
1. How long can I safely leave my pool empty without causing damage to the plaster?
2. What can I do to clean the plaster beofre I fill the pool?
3. I have a few broken tiles. What do you reccomend to reattach those tiles?
4. Is there anything else you might recommend that I do while the pool is empty or before refilling?

Thanks for your help!
Terisha

Nothing you describe suggests any need to drain the pool. You will want to lower the water level below the tiles when working on the tiles, but no need for a complete drain. Draining for a while is usually fine, but if your water table is high there can be extreme damage to the pool. It is best not to take that risk unless there is some stronger reason to drain.

There is a good write up on fighting algae here.

I can't help you with the tile work. Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows more about that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.