I have my test kit and now some real numbers

lefty51

Platinum Supporter
Tf-100 arrived and I've been testing (did the CYA 8 times):confused: I think I have some accurate numbers to report

PH - 7.3
FC - 23.5
CC - 0
TC - 23.5 ?
CH - 350
TA - 110
CYA - 85 ( pretty sure )

Pool sides and bottom are clear, water is just cloudy. Ch is a little high for SWG. I need to add about two inches of water to bring up to normal levels. What should be my first order of business ?
P.S. I really like the speedstir

Happy you got your test kit! PH won't read correctly with FC over 10. Keep SLAMming until you pass OLCT, have a cC of .5 or lower and water is crystal clear. If your CYA is 85 you need to increase shocke level to at least 31. I will let someone else chime in if it should be higher.

thanks Azgirl71, I was wondering, I need to add a little water, so could I drain a little off and then top off (to lower CYA some) and then get back to SLAMming or should I do the reverse. I think the CYA is close, it's hard to tell when dot disappears :). Also when FC is that high does PH show higher or lower than normal or is it just unreliable at that point ?

thanks Azgirl71, I was wondering, I need to add a little water, so could I drain a little off and then top off (to lower CYA some) and then get back to SLAMming or should I do the reverse. I think the CYA is close, it's hard to tell when dot disappears :). Also when FC is that high does PH show higher or lower than normal or is it just unreliable at that point ?

You could drain and refill some to SLAM at a lower level. I SLAMmed at 50, but dropped to 40 with backwashing and refills.
Don't stop your SLAM. Just keep doing what you are doing. The PH just reads inaccurate above 10. Some will get a high reading and some will get a low reading.

pH will test higher in the presence (10 ppm+) of high chlorine.

The CYA test is pretty inexact. To practice, keep reusing the same solution over and over by pouring it in and out of the view tube. You'll save some reagent. That said, If you saw 85, then 85 it is.

How are you chlorinating?

You sound like you are at the point of the SLAM where brushing, vacuuming and 24/7 filtering and PATIENCE are the most important.

I think you'll see SOME improvement each day if you will keep at it.

Not trying to hijack... Duraleigh, thanks for clarifying the PH reading. I have seen some others who tested low with their FC 10+. With his PH being 7.3 should he just ignore that for now or drop below 10 and retest PH and adjust the PH if needed? Just a question I was curious about.

Hi duraleigh, yeah that's what I told myself after repouring the CYA sample over and over, then diluting and testing and multiplying by 2. I wonder if I just wanted it to be 85 cause the test strips said 100. That said, I'm using walmart 8.25 % bleach in 121 oz jugs and going by the math chart. I turned the SWG off. I had been running the pump just 8 hrs a day with the SWG running at 10 % above normal level till the kit arrived. I haven't shocked since last wed. , so I was kind of surprised that FC was that high and CC showed 0 %, unless I tested wrong. Anyway now I have something to give me the right numbers and I should be good to go. Learn, Learn and then Learn some more, right !:)

Awesome fun getting the kit eh? :D
It looks like the advice already given will have you on the right track, I would only add..........get skimmer socks asap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
why skimmer socks ? Oh, I got ya. Just did some reading on skimmer socks. I thought they were used for things like dissolving CYA acid and such. Not a bad idea. What I have used for slow dissolving is the sock material like you put over drainage tile. I have a bit of it. I'll have to see if I can wrap my skimmer basket. Thanks for the advice Defgufman !

Hi all, I have a question about checking CC I am doing the OCLT test and after testing for FC I did the CC test. It took 2 drops for it to turn back clear. After about 3 minutes I noticed the sample starting to turn pink again. I added one more drop of R-0871 to clear it, now I noticed it turning slight pink again. I'm thinking that is normal and should I just ignore It ?

ok, this morning I tested everything again. I think I have more accurate numbers than the first time. I added some water two days ago plus it rained
I think
CH = 300, not 350 from first test
CYA = 100, not 85 from first test. I still haven't got the hang of this yet
FC = 37.5 about where it was yesterday
CC = still shows 0
vacuumed and brushed walls yesterday, water looks cloudier this morning
Don't know if this make a difference but temp dropped into the 40's last night, is about 51 right now
If CYA is actually around 100 perhaps I should bump shock level up to 39 ?

Yes, bump your FC back up if your CYA is 100. You may even consider partial water drain and replacement so you don't have to go through so much bleach. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will be swimming before you know it.

thanks Azgirl71, I am replacing about 15-20 % of water now. Based on my pump and filter, I think I will wait 2-3 hours and then retest. Hopefully CH & CYA come down. Then I will raise shock levels based on that. By the way should I just keep adding to this thread or start a new one ( I'm trying to learn proper post etiquette ;) ) Also does high FC affect TA or can I test it accurately. Thanks again

good morning, I'm back. Well I see I need to get better at testing. Without getting to wordy, based on a CYA of 90 and FC at 26.5 the chart said to add 1.7 jugs of 8.25 % bleach. Either out of laziness or for overkill (I'm not sure which :) ) I add 2 full jugs. With SWG turned off I waited 5 hrs and tested FC which came back as 40.5, CC at 0. Did OCLT this morning and FC was 42, CC at .5 (tested three times to be sure, I think I get distracted counting drops that high :confused: ) Anyway pool looks clearer this morning. Now the question is should I leave FC alone for now and check later since I'm above shock level and see how pool looks ? I promise to get better at testing:rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.