Repairing PVC Pump Union

kennyg

Jul 19, 2008
Closing pool for first time, discovered union to the pump had been cemented in place and I needed to break the check valve to remove the pump.
The flow is: > 2 1/2" Sch 40 from pool > 180 Jandy Check Valve (slip) > Pump union > Pump.

Two questions:

I. Now must saw off the broken Check valve and replace. Any tools or tips on how to get the broken piece (cemented) out of the pipe so I can install
new valve? Read there was a reamer of sorts on the market, but nothing >2"

2. To make the connection on the other end of the check valve, Need a union to the pump but don't want to repeat mistake of past so, must be
able to make the Check valve connection while still being able to unscrew the slip adapter (#27-4407). I've attached a photo of broken piece.
slip adapter faces pump.

It's a tight installation, and I'm trying to avoid pipe extensions.

Thanks.

Thanks for responding, and sorry for delay getting back to you. Having trouble
getting the photo to upload, so made a simple drawing of the first problem.

The blue color in the photo depicts remnants of Sch 80 Jandy Pipe welded inside Sch 40 T-fitting. I need to remove that
old pipe to insert the new one, and so far can't find tool to do the job on a 2.5" pipe.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Ken

Attachments

• Pipe Fitting-3D.jpg
    Pipe Fitting-3D.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 150
Your best bet would be a pipe extender:

Follow this link and go down to "Pipe extenders". First one is spigot x internal spigot meaning one side is the same as your pipe size and the other fits inside your pipe. Hard to find stuff in 2-1/2" sometimes. I'm happy to find out they make these in that size:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvc.html#coup

The thickness of the sch 80 might give you trouble... Ted, you ever use these things on sch 80 pipe?

Nice rendering!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.