Quick intro

May 5, 2015
Colleyville, TX
This is my 3rd year as a pool owner. I found TFP after a long and confusing search for practical explanation on how to maintain my pool levels. I even purchased a crappy overpriced book on Amazon that completely glossed over this critically important aspect of pool maintenance.

First year, I just did what people told me – using a floater and shocking the pool approximately every other week (alternating between Fresh N Clear and Dichlor). Not surprisingly, my CYA levels climbed to 150 or so by the end of the season.

Last year after draining about 75% of the pool I tried using the TFP method and it worked well – until I got lazy and started using my floater again (in addition to liquid chlorine). After draining the pool my CYA levels were actually too low. I figured I could raise CYA gradually with my floater, but by the end of the season it was too high (101 ppm). Lesson learned!

After having to partially drain again at the start of this season, I am sticking to the TFP method. No Floater! I am tracking my levels in a spreadsheet and being quite obsessive about it. Occasionally, I feel compelled to evangelize the TFP method, but mostly I am met with blank looks when I do. I realize I am being boorish, but it’s hard not to react when someone tells you that they don’t use chlorine at all in their pool (just non-chlorine shock?!) or that they just maintain their pools by instinct (no tests?!).

Re: my avatar and user name. I do own a Blue Heeler and he is an absolute stinker. I think he is getting better behaved as he gets older (he’s 1 ½ years old now) or maybe he is just wearing me down.