6 yrs with Baq and started conversion but..

bestlandlord

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2007
Massachusetts
32000 gallon ig vinyl. Read a huge amount here and pf about baq conversion. Put in 20 gal of 5.25% 6 days ago.. No reaction as everyone describes. No changing colors or anything just clear water with winter stuff in it. Have been cleaning out normal bottom dead algae and leaves from winter. Water is crystal clear. Tested yesterday Cl 0, Cya 0, PH 7.9-8.0, TA 80. So should I bother to change the sand as I don't seem to have the "goop" many plp describe. 2 yr old sand. Or can I add the cl and cyanuric acid and muratic acid? Muriatic acid 1st or last? CH I did not test is it correct that this is not an issue for vinyl pools? I will be ordering a Autopilot tomorrow so hopefully will be salt water in a week.

You should keep adding bleach every evening until you can hold a FC level overnight. It sounds like you are nearly there, but you won't know for sure until it holds overnight. Easy conversions happen sometimes, particuarly if you let your Baq level fall at the end of the year last year. I would change the sand, two years of Baq almost always does it it. If you feel comfortable looking inside the filter you could take a look at it and see what kind of shape it is in.

You don't need to worry about CH in a vinyl pool.

You should start thinking about adding some CYA. You can do that and lower the PH right now even if the conversion isn't complete. If you do add CYA you should use the sock in front of a return or sock in the skimmer approach. No point in putting it in the filter and ending up changing the sand and losing it. On both the CYA and the acid, add less than you think you need and see where that gets you and proceed from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.