Hose Conversion Problem - Coleman 16' x 48" and Best Choice Products Pump/Sand Filter

May 19, 2015
Nacogdocbes, Tx
Hose Conversion Problem - Coleman 16' x 48" and Best Choice Products Pump/Sand Filter

I have been trying, looking and banging my head going on 1o days now and I will surely appreciate any feedback.

We bought a Coleman 16' x 48" pool at Walmart.

My wife read that these paper filter pumps are inadequate, so we bought a Best Choice Products® Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System 4500GPH 19" Sand Filter w/ 1.0HP

The hose connections to the pump from the Coleman pool are totally different than what this pump needs, which is a hose end that screws onto the pump fitting:

Pump fitting:

PoolPump.jpg

Hose from Coleman pool:

PoolHose.jpg

I have chased so things up the wrong tree.

Is there an easy way to hook these pool hoses to this pump? Any conversion pieces?

Thank you so much!
Jimmy

Re: Hose Conversion Problem - Coleman 16' x 48" and Best Choice Products Pump/Sand Fi

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So often the pool companies use proprietary unions to connect to the pump. I have not idea if there is an adapter.

It might be easier to just abandon those hoses and find some PVC fittings that will work on the pump. Although then you may need to figure out how to connect to the pool.

Re: Hose Conversion Problem - Coleman 16' x 48" and Best Choice Products Pump/Sand Fi

That's what I feared. I'm still interested in any solutions that anyone might have.

Does anyone have any experience hard plumbing an above ground pool? If so, what sort of a PVC connection will work to hook up an in-pool auto-vacuum? That might not work either, but it's worth a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-500-A...2071044&sr=8-7&keywords=swimming+pool+sweeper

71kiL6rsttL._SL1500_.jpg

You can make a union with a couple of dollars worth of PVC, like I did here. Just use a straight thru pipe in the middle instead of a tee and put a fitting on either end that works with the two different hoses.

temporary_zpslhgl0qes.jpg

I think I ought to make and sell these.

BTW, FUBAR is right that you'd benefit from putting in a thru-the-wall skimmer, but if you're not ready to cut holes in your new pool, this will get you by for a while.

I went to Lowes chasing down a tip that I'd read somewhere else and they did not carry a thorough enough PVC section to plumb it out. There is a dedicated plumbing store that I can fit, but I "think" that I found two pieces that screw onto the places the hose goes that I can clamp the hose to. A lightning storm ran me off yesterday. Leaks of course will not work, so if there are any I'll try hard plumbing.

Finding a fitting that will work with the proprietary Coleman hoses has been my entire problem, jeffchap. Any fitting. I'm so stressed. The water is getting filthy. as the pool cover does not stay on even without wind and there has been no pumping at all so far.

I don't entirely understand this photo. Can you explain it? Where do those hoses go? Why are two hoses coming into that single fitting that appears to gr through the pool wall? Maybe it just looks like it goes through the pool wall? Why is a water hose coming into that fitting?

You can make a union with a couple of dollars worth of PVC, like I did here. Just use a straight thru pipe in the middle instead of a tee and put a fitting on either end that works with the two different hoses.

temporary_zpslhgl0qes.jpg

There's nothing going through the pool wall here. I just zip tied it to the support leg to keep it off the ground.

The top hose is coming from the pump, and the bottom hose back to the return on the pool. I did this to insert a tee so I could divert some of the water off thru the garden hose to a home made solar heater. You don't need that, which is why I said to replace the tee with a straight pipe.

I have to say that this project that I took on for my wife was the most frustrating thing that I have done in my adult life thanks to Coleman and their proprietary hose connections.

I was literally on the verge of tears day after day of frustrated looking, calling and searching only to be rebuffed when I got whatever solution that I thought I had found home. The cover does not stay ion the pool either and the water was getting filthy as days ticked on by. The project was a money pit. I had to haul in trucks of fill dirt, level and pack it, then the costs of the pool, pump, chemicals, accessories started adding up like out national debt it seemed there for awhile, but the pool was still non-functionally dirty.

I am SO glad that I came across this forum. I found a nipple that would work without leaking with a radiator hose clamp holding it on FUBAR. That Chinese pump with no instructions or place to get parts did use standard connections. The Coleman pool was the problem all along.

The fact that I came across you guys here might have been the small difference between finally getting the pool up, cleaned and going and having a nervous breakdown. Just being here was very powerful to me. Thank you all. :)

The 1 HP pump is very, very adequate and the water is crystal clear. That lady bug floor vacuum that my wife bought (pictured above) works like a champ along with the pump sucking up anything that dare sink to the bottom.

Nirvana. I have reached a state of complete nirvana.

No wait!! I'm just getting started. I have tons more to learn. Haha

Thank you again everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Glad you got everything up and running. The Intex use odd hoses as well. And every manufacturer seems to use proprietary fittings on some of their equipment ... very frustrating.

Now on to the chemical maintenance and enjoying the pool ;)

Jimmy,

Sounds like you are set, but there is an adapter that can be used to adapt the Intex/Coleman fittings if they are the larger ones. Here is a link to one of the threads about it: adapter

I just typed in "Plumbing Hayward pump to Intex Pool" for info.

I will try to take some pics when I get my new Hayward pump/ filter system hooked up.

I have been trying, looking and banging my head going on 1o days now and I will surely appreciate any feedback.

We bought a Coleman 16' x 48" pool at Walmart.

My wife read that these paper filter pumps are inadequate, so we bought a Best Choice Products® Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System 4500GPH 19" Sand Filter w/ 1.0HP

The hose connections to the pump from the Coleman pool are totally different than what this pump needs, which is a hose end that screws onto the pump fitting:

Pump fitting:

PoolPump.jpg

Hose from Coleman pool:

PoolHose.jpg

I have chased so things up the wrong tree.

Is there an easy way to hook these pool hoses to this pump? Any conversion pieces?

Thank you so much!
Jimmy

I think I am late to this party but in case anyone else needs help. I have an Intex 15x48 and I'm on my 7th year with it. I got rid of the pump that came with it AND the hoses. I bought regular 6'x1.5" filter hoses and used hose clamps to clamp them on my new pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.