Solar Blanket Issues

May 19, 2015
Cambridge/Ontario
This is my second season with my current solar blanket. We noticed that all the bubbles are flat. They are still intact, so I do not believe it is a chemical issue. When the pool is in use the blanket is rolled on a roller and covered with a white cover. I just find it odd that the bubbles are flat. Anyone else ever have this issue? What was the problem and solution? Thanks

I read that the bubbles had to be intact or it wouldn't do its job. Apparently, these don't last long if exposed to elements (sun) out of water. Yes, bubble go down. I've been using mine. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to warm the pool with a solar blanket or if they really help?
250c468f8459160ff1fa306db5ab5356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar blankets do not "heat" the water. They are an insulating layer to keep any heat from escaping. Any "heating" is done by the sun hitting the water or the cover and transferring to the water.

Yes, I totally understand that it is the sun heating the water. So, you are saying it doesn't help it warm up, but only keeps the warmth in? I thought that the sunlight going through the bubbles actually helped to warm the water also.

Bubbles are just to keep the cover floating. As long as it floats it's still working fine. The cover retains heat by preventing evaporation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. That's good to know. Somehow, I was under the impression that it helped to warm it (utilizing the sun's rays). So, in your opinion, would it be best to uncover during hot day, and cover during cool night to help the pool warm up for the early swim days?
Our days have been in the 80-s and 90's but our nights are much cooler (60's).

Okay. That's good to know. Somehow, I was under the impression that it helped to warm it (utilizing the sun's rays). So, in your opinion, would it be best to uncover during hot day, and cover during cool night to help the pool warm up for the early swim days?
Our days have been in the 80-s and 90's but our nights are much cooler (60's).

That's a tough question. If it was dead calm and sunny, it might be better to have the cover off for heating. With a breeze, you are probably better with the cover on.

Read the fine print on solar cover warranties. Warranty is void if chlorine level is kept above 1ppm and cover must be out of direct sunlight when off the pool. Rule of thumb is, 3 year cover lasts a season. 5 year ones last 3 years. Buy the cheapest you can and replace the moment the cover starts to tear or have bubbles actually come off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.