First test results, wanting to go TFP method but not sure if I'm there yet?

TCpoolnoob

Apr 27, 2015
Richland WA
I just received my TF-100 kit and have my first results.

FC greater than 5 Range only goes to 5 and it is slightly more yellow than 5. I'm guessing 6?
PH 6.8
TA 120
CH 250
CYA 40
CH Drop 7.5
CC 0
TC greater than 5

I plugged everything into pool math but I'm not sure where to go from here.
Pool math has a Borate section and says it may affect the ph?

I don't see it covered in my test kit?

My pool water is crystal clear and fine for swimming, no complaints so far.

It appears everything is within acceptable norms except the ph is too low and chlorine is a bit high. I know the chlorine will come down on it's own but I'd like to correct the PH. I just don't want to start pouring stuff into the pool until I am sure what "stuff" and how much should be going in.

Currently, I am using the following to maintain the pool:
3" Aqua Chem brand Trichloro pucks in a floater
Aqua Chem brand Shock plus active ingredients are Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione 58.2% and 41.8% other ingredients

This is only my second year with this pool and my first full season. The guy I bought the house from was a chemical engineer and I got the idea that "adjusting" the various chemicals in the pool was a long time hobby of his. In my pool shed, I have a wide array of algaecides, PH modifiers, flocculent and assorted pool chemicals that came with the home.

I have about 1/3rd of a case of the shock and 1/3rd of a 5 gallon bucket of the pucks on hand right now. I also have approximately 2.5#'s of hth brand, ph plus which has an active ingredient of 98% Sodium Carbonate.

My thoughts are to raise the ph with the Sodium Carbonate I already have and continue to use the current pucks and shock until the CYA rose to near 50.

Once I've depleted my current supplies, or the cya hits 50, I plan to follow the trouble free pool method.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my test results and plans. Should I just switch over now and keep these left over chemicals on the shelf?:confused:

Yes, you are ready to start.

Raise the PH to 7.2 with either borax or soda ash/sodium carbonate.

Given the large amounts of chlorine you will be adding, you do not want to use either trichlor or dichlor for chlorine. Either one of them will raise the CYA level way too quickly. Most people around here use either household bleach (no special features or scents) or liquid chlorine (from a pool store but only in some areas).

Yes, you are ready to start.

Raise the PH to 7.2 with either borax or soda ash/sodium carbonate.

Given the large amounts of chlorine you will be adding, you do not want to use either trichlor or dichlor for chlorine. Either one of them will raise the CYA level way too quickly. Most people around here use either household bleach (no special features or scents) or liquid chlorine (from a pool store but only in some areas).

Right, I'm hoping to ditch the pucks and the shock in the future but was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to just keep using what I had on hand until the CYA got a little higher. To be honest, I was really relieved to see my CYA so low. I was really concerned it was going to be through the roof as I have been using pucks and shock for last season and so far this season.

What about the Borate? Is that something I should be testing for?

It does not seem like you did the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Although you did report a CC somehow :scratch:

You CYA is already right in the sweet spot. Not sure you would need to go higher up in WA.

If you have never intentionally added borates, they will be 0.

I just followed the instructions in the kit, I didn't see a mention of the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Is that another name for the chlorine drop test?

I'm in the SE part of Washington which is actually a desert. We get temps in the 100's in July and August and 90's regularly in June and sometimes September. Definitely not Seattle weather here where I live. I'm thinking 40 is a bit low given the heat here. Maybe I'm wrong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.