Question on removing water and pushing air through system

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I know this is a little early in NJ, but I try to be prepared. I have a Hayward Super Pump and understand my plumbing. The water is being pulled from the main drains and skimmer and pushed up to the Multi-Port, through the sand filter and down to the returns.

Q: When blowing out the lines, etc., do you change the multiport to the recirculate position so air will travel and bypass the sand filter? Or should it be placed on another setting?

Q: Should you close the returns first while skimmer and main drains are closed? Or should you push air and close one at a time with the path of least resistance?

With all the reading and video's that I have watched, this is something I have not been able to put my fingers on. Thank you.

Yes, sorry. This is to winterize.

With regards to the compressed air, possibly through the filter basket. There is a fitting there. Or inside the housing. Not sure yet. I have seen a special adapter on the housing cover when they closed the pool last year. I am going to attempt closing my own pool in September on my own. I have a very powerful Rigid wet vac that will blow air that may work. Or I can go out and purchase a 2hp air compressor. Additionally, I have a Craftsman large air compressor that I use to blow out the sprinkler lines (that works real well). There is an adjustment for pressure. Just need to be careful that I do not push too much pressure through the lines.

The cost of closing the pool here in NJ is high. The cost of the compressor will be around the same. Here is a link to my pump:

http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/hayward-super-pump-2-hp-dual-speed-for-in-ground-pools

Unless there is another method of getting the air out.

You could probably use the same compressor as you blow out the sprinkler lines with. I have good luck using the drain plug fitting on the pump basket and a 2 hp pancake compressor. It also an adjustable pressure. I start with fairly low pressure until the majority of the water is removed then increase pressure to get the last little bit out. One thing that works well for me is after blowing out each line is to give it a minute or two for the remaining water to find the low spot then blast it again.

I isolate the suction side and blow that out first then attack the return side. I leave the filter in 'filter mode' while blowing out the return lines. The drain plug is small enough that it takes quite a while to get all the water out. Once pretty solid air is blowing out you can start plugging the return lines, starting at the one with the most air blowing out and working back to the filter. Note - make sure you adjust the air pressure once you plug the last return and have only the drain plug open.

Overall it is a pretty painless process and easy way to save a few bucks. Good luck, in September that is!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.