24' DIY Installation & deck questions.

May 19, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hello to all! Thank goodness I found this site I'll be spending a lot of time reading here.

So I have a friend who has given me a 24' pool which I'm disassembling Saturday. I need to prep a base for it in my yard. I'll dig down once I know what to use as a base to support the exterior wall of the pool. I see some people use pavers and others pack millings or fines from quarry screenings down. Either way I'll probably put down a sub base of 1 or 2 crush and run and build up from there. My soil is stable besides the frost concerns in NY. #1 What do I use under the pool wall to support it? I'll pack a base down for the liner and top it with mason sand. #2 I like the idea of a Gorrilla liner pad but I've read bad reviews about them so which is the best pad to use? I may heat the pool in the future but I'm apprehensive putting down foam paneling. I see you can install rolls of foam on the pool wall sides between the liner and bands but I've heard leaks can occur around the skimmer.

Building a deck won't be a problem but I see people run the decking over the outside pool ring or under it. #3 Decking under the lip of the top cap or over top of it? I'm leaning toward under it or flush with the top of the cap yet I want to consider how I'll winterize the pool and not build myself a headache.

Last question should I use a foam cove if I use a pad? The liner in the pool is a few years old so I'll probably be better of buying a new one.?.

Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Use the screenings after you level off a spot. Wet it n compact it. Set the post on pavers. You can set them in the screenings n compact them before hand. The bottom padding is pretty much the same. Wall foam doesn't serve a real purpose. Get the pool cove for the bottom of the pool. As far as decking goes, I went under the rail by a few inches so I could thake the top rails off to replace liner in the future. I'm getting to old to be getting under the deck to pull a cover under it in the winter.

Why do you want a pad underneath? Gorilla pad isn't so much for the feel, it's to protect the liner. I've not read bad reviews on them so I have no thoughts there. We bought Armor Shield (elephant pad) based on installer recommendation, and did so because we have lots of wildlife on our property. Still under construction so I have no comments on the feel or function yet.

I'm a total newb with pools so I figured a pad might be better than sand? I'm still planning on having sand under the pad. Maybe I don't need a pad like most of the pool video installs show. We have wild life around so I'll check out the pad you used Bella. If you read enough reviews on the internet you'll never buy anything! I plan on lining the outside ring around the pool with round type stone to deter burrowing type animals with a deck around the circumference of the pool. Thanks for the reply!

You still need a sand base and then the pad over top of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.