Gross Solar Cover

MRBDDB

Jul 10, 2014
Harrisonburg, VA
We opened our pool a few weeks ago and put our solar cover on last weekend. It is now covered with all the tree debris and puddles of water from the rain we've had. We don't have a solar cover reel and even if we did I don't know how you would get it rolled up without dumping all that junk into the pool. It smells like dead fish, it's so gross. I'm beginning to wonder if it's easier to just leave the solar cover off and fight the debris between running the pump and using the pool net to keep it clean. Our pool is located right beside the edge of our wood line so it catches a lot of stuff year round. Because our pool is on the larger side taking the cover on and off is a total PIA. We've talked about building one of the solar cover reels but we've yet to do it.

Thoughts on leaving the cover on or off?

I got tired of fighting my cover since I don't have a lot of room on the ends. When it started rotting and leaving little blue circles everywhere, I trashed it and haven't bothered since.

I have read of people using the spray nozzle on the garden hose to wash the debris towards the skimmer before pulling the cover.

I just asked a question about keeping pools clean in a high debris area. We are surrounded by woods and it's crazy how much junk gets in the pools here! There were several good suggestions with photos shared in that post - maybe they would help you, too. I think it is on the second page of this forum.

We are in the process of building a reel for our solar cover. I know we will need it because we get so much shade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.