TC 6
TA 120
CH 300
CYA 40
Cl 3
pH 7.5
Br 6
Salt 2900

First off my water looks great! Now my question is should I be concerned with other things that my kit does not test for? Reason I'm asking is because I have had a serious increase in water bugs / back swimmers? I've been reading and have discovered that they feed on algae, and saw suggestions of shocking the pool. I've never shocked my pool being as the water has always looks so good. Is shocking something that I need to consider if so how much and of what? Lastly are there any other things I need to look for that could be hazardous to us swimming and not tested in my TF-100? Reason I ask is because last year I had brought the water to be tested by one of the pool companies, they had mentioned something about mustard algae, I believe? Not quite certain if that's what they said but it was just something in the water that I was unaware of that they said could be hazardous. They were probably trying to upsell me on something but I just want to make sure and get some opinions.

Thank you guys in advance

You can get rid of the backswimmers by adding borates. Shocking only helps keep them away for a little while, and isn't really a solution.

The store was just trying to sell you things you don't need by mentioning levels that don't matter and implying that they were important.

I've been only testing with my TF100 for 3 years. I've never shocked my pool. You are good to go! Nice numbers!

Just make sure that FC stays above the minimum for your CYA on the Chlorine CYA Chart at all times and you will never grow algae. I dose with bleach in the winter when my SWG stops producing chlorine. I also dose with bleach from time to time as chlorine demand exceeds my current SWG setting. From lots of swimming, lots of tree debris, etc.

Have you read the Water Balance for SWCGs?

I also have good test numbers and crystal clear water but started noticing approx 5-10 backswimmers in my pool daily. I have been scooping them out but more will show up again in a few days. This is my first pool and only been filled for a month or two so I don't know if it is a seasonal thing that will eventually go away, due to all the heavy rain we have been getting lately, etc...

You can get rid of the backswimmers by adding borates. Shocking only helps keep them away for a little while, and isn't really a solution.

The store was just trying to sell you things you don't need by mentioning levels that don't matter and implying that they were important.

Hey thank you all! Jason i've never used borates but I'm seeing that my pool would require about 91lbs if my calculation is correct. How would you recommend me adding it to my pool?

Thanks again

Boric acid is a very convent way to add borates, though you do need to order it over the Internet, as it is almost never available locally. For 30,000 gallons you will need about 72 lbs. Duda Diesel is a good place to order from.

Thanks Jason,

Which would be better the Granular or Powder Boric Acid? Also what method should I use to put it in my pool?

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.