Need help wiring a Pentair 1hp 2 speed

May 19, 2015
mission, tx
I am replacing an old 2 speed with a new Pentair 1hp 2speed (mod 011486). I assumed wiring would be the same as the old pump.
The first thing I noticed was a notice on the motor that the pump must be installed with a two, multi, or variable speed motor controller.
Isn't that the purpose of the switch on the back of the motor or am I missing something?
Where the old pump had two terminals and a ground, the new one has three terminals and a ground??? #1 #2 and #3or4
Everything I have found on line says to go by the wiring diagram on the motor---- for some reason that part of the label is not very legible??

pent-pump.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Your pictures are way too small to read.

Does your new motor have a switch on the back end cap?
You just have to connect one of your LINE wires to the middle of the switch (black wire I think) and the other LINE wire to the terminal that does not have a wire coming from the switch. If the white and yellow are not already hooked up, it would take me some digging to find the correct terminals.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it.
LINE to 1, other LINE to black wire to switch
Yellow to 2
White to 3/4

And of course your ground wire to the green screw ... and a bare copper bonding wire to the lug on the outside.

For the 3rd time ;)

One of your LINE wires goes to 1
The other LINE goes to the black wire from the switch, probably using a wire nut (pull on it , it is likely just tucked in the back)

:Found it.
LINE to 1, other LINE to black wire to switch
Yellow to 2
White to 3/4

And of course your ground wire to the green screw ... and a bare copper bonding wire to the lug on the outside.

Yup, thats correct. Line 1 is the common and goes on terminal 1. Line 2 feeds power to the switch (black wire on the switch). Yellow puts power on the high speed windings (terminal 2), White puts power on the low speed windings (terminal 3/4).

Well, I would not call Line 1 "common" as that implies other meanings for electricity. Line 1 and Line 2 are interchangeable.

I suppose Terminal 1 could be called the common terminal since it supplies power for both speeds.

Well, I would not call Line 1 "common" as that implies other meanings for electricity. .

I realize some people call the white neutral wire the "common", but when talking about a 2 speed motor, common is the correct term for the leg that supplies power to both windings. Thats the term used on schematics. It also makes a difference if you use automation to control the pump. The "common" leg comes directly off the primary pump relay. The other hot leg goes to the 2 speed relay. But since the OP is going to use the switch, its kinda moot which leg goes on #1 and which leg gets connected to the black wire on the switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.