sxch12

May 5, 2015
Novi MI
I bought a house in foreclosure with an inground pool with vinyl liner. I'm waiting for the test kit TF-100 (should get it tomorrow). The water is black so I can't see the bottom of the pool. A month ago I could see the pool and had muck, leaves, worms, etc. I think I got most of it cleaned using a rake but not 100% sure. So 1) How can I get the water clear enough so I can see before turning on the pump?
2) Or can I turn on the pump and slam but just use the skimmer instead of the main drain. Is that OK to do and how do I close the main drain or figure out which valve to turn off the main drain?
3) I have lots of algae so is slamming what I need to do?
4) I haven't turned on the system yet so opening a pool, do I need to first backwash?

Thank you.

1) Can't
2) That is alright. Leaving the main drain on is usually alright as well, but if you can manage to turn the main drain off that would be good.
3) Yep.
4) After a year+ closure, I would clean out the filter manually, and then start the system up in filter mode. Exact procedure depends on what kind of filter you have.

Getting all of the debris off the bottom is critical. Since you can't see doing this is tricky, just keep working at it until you can't bring anything further up.

How do i clean my hayward sand filter manually? Since I am re-piping can I add a valve so that I can turn off the main and just use the skimmer? Can I just use a ball valve. IT seems a lot cheaper than the Jandy valves. Thank you.

sunplay.com sells a Pentair 3way valve that is cheaper than the jandy valve and it works great, I am using one on my solar. Definitely recommend putting a valve between main and skimmer so you can control that water flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.