Newby from Indiana

May 17, 2015
Greenfield/In
We just had the pool installed last week. I have been filling with well water. And was getting ready to start up the Perma Salt system. I just could not get over the bad feeling I had of this magical system. Needless to say I did more research and landed here. The complete perma salt system is still in the box and destined for the barn to collect dust. I have ordered the tf-100 and expect it Wednesday. I feel that I dodged a bullet! The reason I started research is I went to the pool store with a water sample and was told to put in metal free and 4 gallons of muratic acid 1 gallon every 12 hours. I asked the guy at the Family Leisure to explain why I needed the acid. I did not doubt him I just wanted to understand. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and just moved on to the next customer. I bought the acid and metal free and left. I added the metal free and 2 gallons of muratic acid 12 hours apart. The next day checked the test strips to see a change and realized how inaccurate the test strips were. I decided to stop immediately and get a better test. I am excited to get a good test kit. Is there anything I can do while I wait to the test kit? Stock up on chlorine and what else? I don't have any noticeable problem with the pool except brownish dust to the pool floor from the well water. I tried to vac it but I don't feel my filter is removing it. Thank you for everything. I feel so much richer just finding this trove of information. Not to mention all the money saved from not playing pool store roulette.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

We call that being pool stored. It's good that you discovered before you dumped in the PermaSalt...

Don't stock up on too much. Use Pool Math to ad chlorine to your pool 4 - 5 ppm a day.

Have you added any stabilizer at all? You may want to add the amount Pool Math say swill get you to 30.

Bleach & stabilizer are available at WalMart.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome. You're in the right place n have a great test kit in the TF100.