Umbrella Sleeve in Pool?

Jun 12, 2008
Columbia, SC
We have just started our pool build (I'll post photos soon) and the PB is planning to do the gunite next week. We have a tanning reef/ledge in the shallow end and are considering having an umbrella sleeve put in there. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Friend of mine had that put in and never used it. Also, if you have a SWG pool, the pole you put in there may rust.

I bought some cheap metal hangers to put on my fence to hold my brush pool pole. The end that the brush rests on is already turned to rust and the other end is fine. Guess the saltwater eats it up.

I have a large tanning ledge and actually put two sleeves in so I can move the umbrella as the sun moves. I keep an umbrella in it all the time and am very glad I have them. I don't see any reason at all to skip them. Even if you don't end up using them alot, they are very small items and have covers you can install so debris doesn't fall in them...or toes. I have been using cheap aluminum pole umbrellas and haven't had any problem with corrosion. The umbrella will fall apart before that aluminum corrodes. Don't use a tight fitting wood pole because the wood may swell and get stuck.

There are plastic sleeve or bronze. If you use the bronze sleeves, make sure your PB bonds them to the rebar.

S.R. Smith makes a very good quality bronze sleeve. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer for the plastic ones, but your PB should be able to get them too.

Jim

Thanks, everybody, for the replies! We live in central SC where it gets VERY hot in summer. Jim and crabboy, I bet you both can relate given where you live. :-D I'd like to keep the direct sun off the kids (and me) as much as possible so we thought the umbrella sleeve in the tanning ledge would be a good idea. I'm glad to hear that you, crabboy, and you, Jim, like yours. Do either of you have SWG pools? That's what we're going with and I'm just wondering if we can get away with an aluminum pole.

I do have a salt water pool and haven't noticed any corrosion issues on the umbrella poles. It would take along time for that aluminum to corrode up while submerged. I would really only be concerned mild steel or low quality stainless, or possible where aluminum would be in direct contact with another carbon steel. The fabric of the umbrella or moving pieces will likely wear out before corrosion of the aluminum pole would ever be a problem.

For the minimal expense of adding a couple sleeves at some convenient places, why not do it? You can not add them later.

Jim

Thanks, that's very helpful. I was considering an aluminum pole umbrella from Overstock.com after a recommendation from another forum. I figure at the price they're charging (less that $100) for an 11ft diameter umbrella, it doesn't have to last forever. Thanks again! :)

Yes, I have a SWG and an aluminum pole. After one season, the pole still looks good as new. The sleeve that the PB put in is a bit bigger than the umbrella pole I have, so I use a short length of 1 1"2 PVC to fit between the pole and the sleeve so it does not wobble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.