Hello from Sedalia Missouri!

May 18, 2015
Sedalia MO
I've had above ground pools at my disposal since I was 14.
My parents always used chlorine tabs and algecide etc.
I guess we follow what we know. I've had 2 vinyl pools
of my own since.
Have never had much of a problem using the traditional
Chemicals.
I've been reading a lot of info on here and I'm still on the fence.
When I read chlorine bleach I thought what? I just installed a
beautiful new liner and it worried me. Understandably the cost
seems much cheaper than traditional Chemicals but do you have
to monitor them every day. I've never had to before.
Not to mention hauling in all the jugs of bleach.
I guess what I'm asking, is it all worth it?

Hello and welcome, a lot depends on what you consider acceptable, is cloudy water and kids with burning red eyes acceptable? Is fighting algae and adding lots of expensive chemical acceptable, If so stick with the traditional pool store methods. If you want to be rid of these problems and take control of your pool, and save money in the process at the cost of spending a little time learning about what your pool needs and how to provide it, in the form of education you can get here online, and water testing you can do yourself spending about 3-5 minutes per day to start with and with time and experience cutting that down to 2 minutes per day and 3-5 minutes 2 or 3 times per week worth better quality water at less expense, all we ask is that you invest in a quality test kit so you can have reliable numbers to go by, sure this cost money, but it is less than most people will spend on snake oil products after a single trip to the pool store.

Welcome to the forum Mustanglady :wave:

In your pool, that will be very little Bleach to haul, and once you get to know what your pool does, every day testing won't be something you wind up doing. A lot of people end up enjoying it, mostly because they gain a much better understanding of exactly what is going on, and how the chemistry works. Most of all though, because they gain tight control of everything, and there's never any more guesswork or wondering what went wrong in the pool. One of the side benefits is how easy it is to keep a perfect problem free pool.

Once in the water, Bleach is the same as any other form of Chlorine, and no more likely to fade, or damage a liner than any other type.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum Mustanglady :wave:

In your pool, that will be very little Bleach to haul, and once you get to know what your pool does, every day testing won't be something you wind up doing. A lot of people end up enjoying it, mostly because they gain a much better understanding of exactly what is going on, and how the chemistry works. Most of all though, because they gain tight control of everything, and there's never any more guesswork or wondering what went wrong in the pool. One of the side benefits is how easy it is to keep a perfect problem free pool.

Once in the water, Bleach is the same as any other form of Chlorine, and no more likely to fade, or damage a liner than any other type.

Can't wait to get started and really enjoy that beautiful new liner!
Do these same type chemicals work for my hot tub also?

Welcome! TFPC is the only way to go! You'll never experience better water!